Options

IT Managers in the field without a clue!

determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
Hello Everybody,

I just needed to get rid of some issues i got. I work for a big computer equipment and networking reseller. I deal with IT Managers and IT Directors everyday. Some of those people don't have a clue about their job and I know more than those guys.
I mean some IT guys call me from big companies and ask me if there is something like a RJ-45 cable.
And I am wondering why I am still stuck in a Sales Job.
I am not saying everybody is bad but most of the guys i get on the phone are.
Is there anyone feeling the same? Are you guys work in the field and do you know people like that?
I am A+ and Network + Certified and I am working on the CCNA and CWNA cert right now, and i got my bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems.

Terrible world out there.

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol...I know what you mean!!! It makes you wonder how they got the "IT Manager Position." icon_eek.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahhhh the typical 'manager' syndrome. Unfortunately in many areas there are people who just do not know the details of the area they are managing, but are in that position due to things like Staff Management Experience, Butt Kissing, Knowing How to Fill In Forms Correctly Experience ... and thats not counting being the big boss's niece or nephew ... lol
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well spoken RussS! icon_lol.gif

Incompetence is a decease that usually targets IT managers. Unfortunately it also works the other way around..., at the time I got a chance to become a 'manager', I couldn't give things out of hand and still wanted to take care of all the details myself :D
    It makes you wonder how they got the "IT Manager Position."
    Especially a couple of years ago (seems to become longer than a couple of years...) when IT was booming I had the same wonders about more than half of all IT personel. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    I know what you mean. I work help desk and my manager, who once worked help desk, is losing his edge. You see, "IT managers" no longer have to troubleshoot, research, or stay sharp like us. I guess it is a mixed blessing to become one. You probably make more money, but when they take you out of the trenches, you forget how to fight. All that paperwork dulls your sword huh?
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    jesus. you sound just like me, but with a different screen name.. lol

i have worked for quite a few different companies.. now i work for verizon..and i can tell you, i know alot more than my supervisors hands down... its a shame.. cuz i know if i speak up, i may get fired due to their
    insecurities.. i too have my BS in CIS with A+ N+ now going for my wireless certs, blah blah..

all i gotta say is.. dont be stupid .. play it smooth and let upper managments take notice.. hopefully not infront of your directors.. if possible.. its a B*tch.. do the old game.. play dumb then catch them slipping.. i got laid off my last job b/c i was doing more than my team mates and when the network was all cleaned up and running like a charm, they laid me off.. hmm.. guess i shoudlnt of been soo efficient.

anyhow.. i feel ya.. either stay where your at, get your certs, present them to some1 who is open minded and has a secure ego, or get your certs and look for a better job.

goodluck.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anyhow.. i feel ya.. either stay where your at, get your certs, present them to some1 who is open minded and has a secure ego, or get your certs and look for a better job.

I agree with you 100% on that.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    Im an IT Manage and I know what im doing !!! icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif

I do speak to a few other managers who like me are in the legal sector, and I must admit I do wonder how they actually got their job.

So moral of this post is..we all arent dafties, just in the same way a majority of salesmen who contact me dont know a thing about speaking to people and are extremely ignorant.

Dont know if its just a UK problem, but we appear to have an awful lot of immigrants working in sales just now, and an awful lot of them dont even have a basic grasp of the english language. Which I'd have thought is a prerequisite when dealing with a technical subject.

Rant over, back to work..
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    IT Managers. icon_redface.gif ... ours is mostly posing for higher ranking officers and doing a really good job bootlicking. He barely shows up in the IT War Room, and whether it's me or my colleague who works his ass off, it's always his name plastered all over the walls and congratulation ceremonies. Ironically though, he has every networking cert in town ostentatiously displayed behind his 2-meter squared office desk. The good thing is that we developers don’t get harassed as much as the poor guys in networking are. They sure would wish that he be castrated and the remains fed to the dogs.

He's a real smart ass, and he's very good at it (Wasn't that called effectiveness and efficiency??? icon_rolleyes.gif ). The only thing that keeps him human-like is our CTO --one of the very best and knowledgably IT personnel I've ever seen in my life.

Oh… end this damn rant.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.