Options

Issues with VTP

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
I am having a hard time understanding some features with VTP. I do not have enough switches to test these models, so any help is appreciated.

1) What will happen if (2) switches in server mode are implemented in the same VTP domain?

Thank you all...
Cheers!!!
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Nothing bad will happen... it's just another opportunity for changes to be made to the vlan database.

I'm reading Hucaby's BCMSN guide, and he suggests that two vtp servers can not only co-exist, but that this is usually recommended for redundancy. If one server is configured with a new vlan or vtp parameter, it advertises the changes to the rest of the domain, and the other server(s) will synch their databases accordingly.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    mikearama wrote:
    Nothing bad will happen... it's just another opportunity for changes to be made to the vlan database.

I'm reading Hucaby's BCMSN guide, and he suggests that two vtp servers can not only co-exist, but that this is usually recommended for redundancy. If one server is configured with a new vlan or vtp parameter, it advertises the changes to the rest of the domain, and the other server(s) will synch their databases accordingly.

Thanks.

When servers advertise the changes, the "configuration revision" is incremented by (1) correct?
    Arrakis
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    datchcha wrote:
    mikearama wrote:

Thanks.

When servers advertise the changes, the "configuration revision" is incremented by (1) correct?

Yes, the configuration revision is incremented by 1 if a change was performed on one of the vtp servers.