Interesting Computer problem

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a interesting problem with a PC

Whenever I plug in a usb device the computer goes into a reboot cycle which only stops when I disconnect the device, The computer only has a on board intel usb chipset. I'm thinking about adding a usb card to try and resolve the issue.

Any ideas guys?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    This is a very common problem for front panel usb ports or inexpensive usb mice/jump drives and etc.

See if your motherboard BIOS supports the 'enabled' state for usb ports as oppose to the default 'auto' state. Another possible work around is to plug the malfunctioning usb device through a powered usb hub first.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • kwa403kwa403 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You could have a look at your power supply, some micro ATX power supplies or low wattage power supplies can cause a problem when a 'power hungry' usb device is installed, especially if you have a couple of HDD and optical drives installed
  • druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like the power supply to me also. What kind of setup do you have and how far into booting up does it get before it reboots again?
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tried installing a PCI USB card to resolve the issue windows xp detects the device and the usb pen drive and before you get a chance to use it the actual machine reboots.

it's a HP COMPAQ

P4 2.4ghz , 512mb ram

230W PSU i also have a dvd drive and CD RW running
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    230w? yeah, that could be your problem...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685