Options

Background Checks??

Anyone know what all excatly is involved in a background check? The reason I ask is I have a possibile new job offer but I'm sure they are going to do a background check first.

My reason for concern is after working for the same company for 6 years I moved to a different city and did some bouncing around from job to job looking for one that was more suited to me.

Luckily a few of these jobs have been contract jobs and I left on good terms on all of them. I also was very upfront about this in my interview and the hiring manager didn't seemed bothered by it. My question however, is this something that is going to bring up a red flag on my background check? I am clean in all the other areas to the best of my knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    i think they mean if you been to jail and stuff like dat...people usually safe if they dont have a felony but then again some companies even look at the speeding tickets
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They'll look for things like police records, driving records, financial records (if you have very bad credit or any past bankruptcy) and if this is for a security clearance they will look at any signs of marital trouble/divorce/alimony issues. Some checks go back 7 years and some can go back 10 years. If this is a standard criminal background check they'll just check with the local PD for any records.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gabe7055 wrote:
    My reason for concern is after working for the same company for 6 years I moved to a different city and did some bouncing around from job to job looking for one that was more suited to me.

I wouldn't worry about that unless you lied about it on your resume. Like the others said when a company does a background check it is usually criminal and driving record, stuff like that.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't worry about it unless

a) You lied
    b) You have committed a serious crime or a string or small offenses or traffic infractions - particularly recently
    c) You have posted stupid stuff on the Internet that can be attributed to you. I have heard of people not being hired because of stuff they put on My Space, for example.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree, I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "Background check" is usualy criminal only. They can call the jobs you list but otherwise they have no way of knowing where you have worked otherwise. Lots of people have jobs they don't list for one reason or another.
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Like others have said, nothing to worry about unless you've blatantly done something bad.

When I was hired earlier this year, they performed a background check and it appeared when I checked my credit report a few months ago. It listed the company name with a reason of "employment" as the query. Not sure if it's that extensive with all background checks, but it was with mine.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Finger Print
    2. List of all the previous employment, living location, and people that know you
    3. Finance statement (loan, mortgage, taxes)

Just take your time to put them in a time table. Usually, go back to 10 years unless you are apply for other type of job.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn