Options

80/20 rule

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Can someone explain the 80/20 rule in a network model? I can not seem to grasp this rule or concept.

thank you
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    80% of single woman are gold-diggers, and the other 20% are lying.

but really, 80% of traffic should stay local while 20% should cross the core switches. Thats the way I have read it anyways. This can vary in the real world I'm sure. Who goes by the rules?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Except for the first one you mentioned! :)

Only kidding ladies! icon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    ITdude wrote:
    Ecept for the first one you mentioned! :)
    no thats true too! icon_lol.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, Netstudent has it right. Today's models are slightly different because many companies are now consolidating their servers into farms that are centralized and connected somewhere to the distribution layer and usually requires crossing the core, as opposed to the old model where servers were workgroup oriented and connected to the access layer or locally to the distribution layer. The new model requires much higher speed WAN connections than the previous designs.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    Netstudent wrote:
    80% of single woman are gold-diggers, and the other 20% are lying.

icon_lol.gif Wish I'd known this a long time ago... I'd have more money for Cisco Hardware.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_tongue.gif
    Ya for any ladies around, that was a joke, no disrespect intended.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    In reality, it doesn't happen much. For example, I work at a college campus and most traffic is Internet bound.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The old 80/20 rule is that 80% of the traffic was local and only 20% of the network traffic went over the backbone. This goes all the way back to 2Mb Arcnet, 10Mb Ethernet hubs, 16Mb Token Ring... etc -- back to the dark ages of networking.

With the advent of the Internet, WANs, enterprise servers, switched networks, etc -- that's swapped. You can look at it as the 20/80 rule or the new 80/20 rule - with the 20% being local (same subnet or VLAN) and the other 80% going through a router (or layer 3 switch).
    Netstudent wrote:
    that was a joke
    If you want to hear something really funny -- there was a time when the 80/20 rule was applied to VLANs as switched networks were being developed. The networks were supposed to be engineered so that 80% of the traffic would stay in the VLAN.

The funny part of that -- some people took that to mean global layer 2 switched networks -- with broadcasts from a salesman's PC in Tokyo going over the ATM links between switches to every other location in the world that had salespeople. Toss in STP and traffic "going backwards" around the world from the UK (through the US, Tokyo, Sydney, etc) to reach Germany -- now that was hilarious (winter of '98/'99 if I recall correctly).

Then came the deployment of layer 3 switching (wire speed routing) -- and it was good. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    thanks guys...understand now.
    Arrakis