Options

interarea? intra-area? O IA? O?

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
in OSPF if you do a show ip route command and a route is shown which has O IA in front of it does that mean that the route was learned from an OSPF neighbour within the same area or from outside the area?

Does this make it an intra area or an inter area? the definition on the actual router says that it is and Inter Area route, so then whats the difference between intra and inter?

Router#sh ip route
Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O- OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

so if O IA means that the route was learned from a neighbour within the area what does a O by itself mean?

cheers
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    so if O IA means that the route was learned from a neighbour within the area what does a O by itself mean?

Correct me if I am wrong...

O by itslef meas the route was learned via OSPF.

O IA - menas the route was learned\crossed from another inter area (made correction to typo)

good reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800943c5.shtml

hth
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    rakem wrote:
    in OSPF if you do a show ip route command and a route is shown which has O IA in front of it does that mean that the route was learned from an OSPF neighbour within the same area or from outside the area?

Does this make it an intra area or an inter area? the definition on the actual router says that it is and Inter Area route, so then whats the difference between intra and inter?

INTER = between different areas

INTRA = within the same area
    rakem wrote:
    Router#sh ip route
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O- OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

cheers

O = Intra-Area route
    O IA = Inter-Area route

George
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Think of it using common terms. What is the name for the national highways that run across the USA?

INTERstate = between states.

INTRAstate = within the state.

The same applies to OSPF.

INTERarea = routes learned from other areas.

INTRAarea = routes learned within the area.

I hope that helps a little.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/