Options

worked for "Cash Register Services, Inc." ?

druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone ever worked for a company called "Cash Register Services, Inc"

I have a job interview with them later today. I'm just wondering what to expect.

They seem to be a company installing computer based cash register systems. Do you guys think this will stack up to other entry level jobs as far as earning experience for my resume?

I got offered a helpdesk job working for H&R block through a subcontractor but it is an hour away and I will have some bad hours I think. I have been a delivery driver for the past three years or so and I think a helpdesk might actualy drive me insane. :)

Comments

• Options
    Also what kind of pay should someone with A+ Net+ and MCP (70-270) be looking for?

I'm in Topeka .KS if that helps. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I did field service on computer based cash register systems. It sucked. Plain and simple. It was the same thing over and over, no challenge. If I got to a site, I could just ask what was wrong, and I knew what had to be done or replaced. Not to mention all the idiots who make worthless service calls to suck you out if you work on call over night.

You may get some expericnce with the handling and setup / configuration if you do that too, but if not; don't expect much else. I made $13 an hour with a company car. It still sucked though.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Does Cash Register Services specialize in Electronic Cash Registers (ECR) or computer-based Point-Of-Sale (POS) systems, like Aloha and Maitre'D? I've done both and the ECRs, except for learning their programming, are very boring.

The POS systems are mostly routine PC repair, upgrade, and maintenance, but with some interesting scenarios. I've found roaches and mice (the furry kind) in restaurant computers, and fans clogged with the biggest, greasiest dust balls you've ever seen. I've also rebuilt receipt printers scalded with hot cooking oil and soaked with ketchup (or maybe it was catsup).

The software part is real easy because everything is backup/restore using disk images. If the customer's POS is hooked to the Internet, network security is an issue, and you'll end up playing with firewall routers and remote management software a lot. You also get to troubleshoot telephone systems and DSL modems. Sometimes these systems are also connected to video cameras and microphones, so there's DVR software and cable-pulling/crimping skills to learn.
  • Options
    Judging by the company website i think they do computer-based Point-Of-Sale (POS) systems. Sounds like an oddball kind of job to me , but I'll do anything at this point to get out of drving from topeka to Kansas city mo.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    i work for a POS company selling POS systems and there is actually a lot more involved than one would think. Ask what software they sell...

Aloha, Micros, Counterpoint, Quickbooks, Pixel Point etc.

They are all database driven so there is a lot of potential SQL and Crystal reporting knowledge you can gain. This also allows you to possibly end up as a database administrator.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    are they pci compliant or pci clueless ???
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    I don't know much about them except what I got from the company website, and that looks more like a selling tool than real info. :)

My interview is later today. I hope it goes well, a local job would be nice.
  • Options
    My interview went well. It seems like a nice company. I forgot to ask what it paid though. He said I should know within a week if i got the job. :)
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked for a huge POS reseller (Aloha) and I would never, ever do Field work. The few times that I did I was pretty disgusted with the environments.. Of course, I'm used to a nice cushy office.

It was definitely a huge asset to my technical support/customer service career though. I learned quite a bit in my year there. I think every IT guy should be put on the front lines as step 1 unless he's some genius.
  • Options
    zantilleyzantilley Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently employed with Cash Register Services. I was very skeptical when I interviewed for CRS, but like you, I was willing to do just about anything to get out of my current situation. I've now worked for them for about 2.5 years and it is the best company I've ever worked for.
  • Options
    It sounds like a great company to work for. Hope I get hired. :)
  • Options
    I'll take just about anything at this point. I took the job at the call center thats about an hour and a half drive. It pays decent but its going to suck I think. I hope they offer me this job, i am desperate to get something local.
  • Options
    I had my interview on the 11th and they said it would be about a week before they knew anything. I emailed them on the 20th (I think) to ask if they had filled the position. I never got a response, should I try to contact them again???
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would contact them again. Maybe give them a call.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Thanks , thats what I was thinking. I just don't want to make people angry for bugging them. They could at least respond with something though...
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    CRS is a big company... I would defiantly try again.