Options

NO Calls after applying?

How many calls do you usually receive after applying for the jobs? What are the keywords do you use in the search engines? ex: desktop support, system administrator, etc. What are the best websites for cover letter and resume help?What are the best job hunting websites for IT jobs?

Now, I have almost sent really about 50+ resumes out everyday but no calls back. I am so frastrated. I only got emails saying "Thank you for applying" this kinda bullshit email. Now I m to reconsider about remodify my resume and cover letter.

The job hunting website i always use is craigslist, and dice. monster and careerbuilder are really bad to me that i never ever got calls from them in my life ( may be i need to upgrade my account, icon_twisted.gif )

I need help to get a job now................really really...... icon_sad.gif

Thanks....
mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you need to modify your resume. I get calls back for about 90% of the jobs I apply for.

If you post your resume here a lot of people can help you.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First I would go here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15164

Look over the items and see if there is anything obvious. Sounds silly but I had a student show me their resume and the first thing I noticed is there was no phone number or email address. The other thing is when it comes to resumes quality overcomes quantity. You should tailor your resume to the job you are applying to, read the job requirements and try to work them into the resume you are sending out (don't falsify what experience you have but try to emphasize any experience you have in areas that are important to the job)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only have roughly 2-3 years of Administrative experience and I nearly always receive calls.

I really would appreciate if they emailed before calling, I typically receive so many calls over the course of looking for a new position that I get annoyed with answering my phone. Of course, I might receive 1-2 reply emails as opposed to 30-40 calls.

It's really the recruiters that bug me.

I'd recommend re-doing your resume perhaps, having a few individuals look over it, spice it up some.
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    Ok, I guess I have to re-do my resume. Here is my resume, Please post some comment:

Personal Profile:
    As a self-starter, technically competent, highly motivated team player, a desire to learn attitude, I am a responsible, educated, dependable, strong work ethic, proficient customer communication skill, Microsoft Certified System Administrators (MCSA) certified with 6 years IT experience. My technical proficiency in Active Directory implementation, deployment, and system administrations, hardware and software installation, network infrastructure connectivity and troubleshooting would be valuable. In addition, my superior customer communication skill would be a strong asset to any company.

Summary of Qualifications:
    •Creating and managing users’ account in Active Directory environment
    •Deploying and administering Windows desktops/workstations in Active Directory environment
    •Implementing, configuring, and managing network resources in Active Directory environment
    •Installing, configuring, managing network infrastructures, ex: DNS, DHCP, RRAS, WINS
    •Experiences in installing, configuring, and managing Microsoft ISA server 2004, Exchange Server 2003
    •Installing, configuring, and managing WSUS for security patches deployment
    •Installing and configuring networking devices, ex: router, switch, firewall, wireless access
    •Installing, configuring and managing hard disk cloning, and redundancy solution
    •Configuring and troubleshooting TCP/IP and Internet connectivity
    •Migrations of servers and workstations and users’ data storage, backup, and recovery
    •Deployment of Symantec enterprise antivirus solution in Active Directory environment

Computer Skills:
    Hardware: Dell, Compaq, miscellaneous PC hardware, SCSI, RAID, Printers, Projector
    Software: Office 2000, XP, 2003, Adobe Photoshop, Open Office, Anti-spyware, Outlook
    Operating system: Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, 2000 Server, XP, Server 2003, Vista, DOS
    Networking: TCP/IP, NETBEUI, PPTP, DHCP, DNS, WINS, ARP, FTP, Telnet, SMTP, POP3, NAT, VPN, RIP, VLAN, DSL/Cable, Cabling, Wireless A/B/G, hub, switch, routers
    Server: Exchange Server 2003, ISA Server 2004, IIS, VERITAS Backup, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, Symantec Ghost, Symantec Mail Security for exchange server, PCAnywhere, Acronis Disk Imaging, Remote Desktop, some experiences in Blackberry Enterprise Server and voice message system.

Certifications:
    • Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
    • Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) on Windows XP
    • Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA) 2003

Education:
    •College
    Graduated in Computer Programming, A.A.S Degree

•College of Technology
    Pursuing Bachelor of Technology

Employment History:

CIS department at College 2002 to Present
    Adjunct College Laboratory Technician
    Promoted from College Laboratory Assistant

•Monitor domain controller, print server, file servers’ health and uptime for 75% more productivity
    •Create and manage Active Directory’s user accounts on class-session daily basis
    •Manage DHCP and DNS servers for maintaining network infrastructure connectivity
    •Verify TCP/IP and Internet Connectivity
    •Perform software, antivirus, security patches updates on servers to reduce downtime by 75%
    •Deploy disk imaging solution to laboratory workstations with Symantec Ghost
    •Implemented rollout of Dell workstations, Poweredge servers, and computer equipments
    •Manage firewall traffic to ensure protections on servers and workstations against hackers
    •Log trouble tickets for computer workstations, servers, equipments and accessories
    •Break fix on dell workstations and laptops
    •Excellent troubleshooting and resolving problems on workstations and LAN, including IP
    resolution, cabling problems, and peripheral malfunctions
    •Proactively participate on network migration and upgrade projects
    •Document computer hardware, software, accessories inventory
    •Extensive knowledge of PC hardware components, able to diagnose and replace problem components quickly minimizing down time
    •Provided dedicated computer support for faculty consisting of 200 workstations. Received numerous letters of recommendations for support
    •Consulted as technical expert in the purchases of all new computer hardware, software and peripherals in support of university programs
    •Report common problems and complaints and escalate network-wide troubles to On-site Administrators to reduce downtime by 75%

Weekly Magazine 1999 to Present
    Account Representative
    •Planning and providing recommendations in advertisings promotions
    •Planning, designing, and publishing commercial arts
    •News-reporting, photographing
    •Collaborating with coordinator in advertising events and promotions
    •Representing on behalf of the company to media conference
    •Collaborate with Western Union for seasonal advertising promotions
    •Interact with Advertising Agencies for special events and promotions
    •Manage advertising customer’s accounts
    •Configuring, and troubleshooting basic POS computers
    •Break fix on POS computers
    •Setup SoHo networking for business production environment
    •Setup DSL/Cable internet access for business solution.
    •Business Hardware/sofware installation.

References Available upon request

• Options
    Okay, I have a lot of problems with your resume.

Don't take this the wrong way, as it's constructive criticism, and really just my opinion. I'm sure plenty of people would find a plethora of issues with my resume also.

1; Your introduction is far too long. 1-2 sentences max, leave the paragraphs for cover letters.

2; I personally loathe resumes that post the education/skills first. It's a personal preference, but I don't want to scan through a list of eye catching skills to get to the bottom and find out the guy worked at Dairy Queen and has no real OTJ skills.

3; I would laugh at your Networking section.. I mean really. What are we missing here in outdated, useless technology.. Oh, where's Banyan Vines? Throw that in there too while you're at it.

You also say PPTP, then say VPN.. Rip v1?? Where's OSPF, RIPv2 and EIGRP? Is Telnet necessary?

What I'm getting at, is this section sounds like you went to Wikipedia, or somewhere, and cut out everything that sounded remotely familiar to you. I'll be honest, I did the same thing when I first started writing my resume. But trust me, when it comes to someone who is tech-savvy, they'll look at it and go.. what the hell?

Networking: TCP/IP, NETBEUI, PPTP, DHCP, DNS, WINS, ARP, FTP, Telnet, SMTP, POP3, NAT, VPN, RIP, VLAN, DSL/Cable, Cabling, Wireless A/B/G, hub, switch, routers
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    mm.... mrj... your suggestions make sense.

The reason I put EVERYTHING there is because I am trying to put the stuffs I know of but somehow it is too crowded and unorganized.

mm... I m working on it now. May you critique the work experience section as well? I think it may be a problem too...

BTW

THANK YOU icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif

• Options
    Oh, and I think I need to clarify, I'm not saying add other routing protocols to your Networking section, I'm actually saying sum it up with things you have an intimate knowledge of, and things that are in common use today unless you're looking for jobs in Legacy environments. For instance, I'd find it very hard to believe someone new about Rip 1 but not EIGRP/OSPF/V2/etc.

Just to clarify.

I'll look at the rest after dinner.
  • Options
    druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The last resume class I went through said to use 3-4 bullet points for each job. Yours looks real cluttered and alot of the things listed should not need to be listed because you have the certs.

Comapy X 1999-2006
    Administrator
    *Managed a Windows 2003 Network
    *Supported 200 Windows Xp Machines
    *Operated a Linux Webserver

something like that maybe, makes it easy to skim.

I would also put the Certs and Degree at the top. I think alot of employers use those to sort out resumes they want to read from ones that go in the garbage. Work history is something they would look at more closely i think.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the biggest problem with your resume (BIG BIG problem) is the fact that the top half of your resume is covered in skills you say you have and things you say you can do making it look like you are a great System Admin, and then the bottom half (employment half.. the most important piece) has a lot of desktop support like responsbilities.

I don't think I would call you back because your resume contradicts itself.

Things you say you are skilled in:

a million protocols
    RRAS, WINS
    WSUS
    •Installing and configuring networking devices, ex: router, switch, firewall, wireless access
    Migrations of servers and workstations and users’ data storage, backup, and recovery

But these are the things you say you have experience in:

•Break fix on dell workstations and laptops
    •Extensive knowledge of PC hardware components, able to diagnose and replace problem components quickly minimizing down time
    •Provided dedicated computer support for faculty consisting of 200 workstations.

It just doesn't add up to me. Why are you putting you know so much in your skills but not explaining that you have experience with it?

Also, leave out anything that isn't IT related. People don't want to read that you went to a media conference, did news reporting, photography, received letters of recommendation... They don't care about those things. They are impressed when you say that you have experience in X area and thats it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I'm in a transistion class right now. So I can give you some tips that headhunters and recuiters and HR people told me.

-They only look at your resume for 30 seconds. So you need to get stright to the point on who you are, what your looking for, and why you are qualifed at the top

-Never put references available upon request in a resume.

-Did you even put the job that you wanted on you resume?

-When you send it did you call to see if it was received? Did you ask about when the interviews were gonna start?

I could chew up your resume all day, but I'm gonna sum it up to this. Make a different resume for every job that you are applying for. Keep a log of who you are applying to with the relevent resume you sent them. Don't just list a bunch of stuff, list what you think you need for that job you are applying for and maybe add a little more to it. Don't make yourslef overqualified. Yours was so word, cut out the fat.
  • Options
    Yep, haha small world. I gave the last interview btw, just shooting air from the hip,lol. Good class to take I would be making a lot of the mistakes they pointed out if I never made it to class.
  • Options
    yeah thats me. getting ready to do CCVP or CCNP in the future? Or maybe stay navy who knows these days after tap icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    A good majority of that class didn't need to get out. THe problem is some of them have to due to illness or prt failure(which is the navy's fault) When I came in about 8 years ago they were letting all of these things slide, now that we are in downsize mode they are the first to get the axe, even if they were big when they came in. I dont' wanna contine to air out the navy's laundry on this board, but its a issue i'm very upset with. Yeah they did have a lotta stay in the navy propaganda in there. I don't have anything bad to really say about the navy other than the comments above and maybe a few other issues, but thats gonna be around no matter where you go. My experience has been great, been stationed from here to cali, to Japan and a few other places, got a lotta good training, a lot of good experiences and friends for life, and it was all free it only costed me 8 years of my time. Sounds like you got everything set up good. I don't start my terminal leave till next year, but I just wanted to make sure I hear all about my benifits way ahead of time, so I can make sure I can get everything document. I don't know if you seen the back of my head, but the navy caused that and I need to make sure i get my benifits for it. I have talked to serveral people, since I only do basic LAN admin and support I might have to move up to DC where my clearance counts more than experience and certs and use that to get my foot in the door. Then once I get my experience up I will move somewhere much cheaper and settle down. Best of luck I dont think its hard transistion for anyone who really prepares and knows what they want.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't take this the wrong way as I'm guessing from your username English is not your first language but on grammar/spelling alone it needs a lot of work. it might be worth having a friend re-write it for you once you have laid out the technical side. There's not much I can add about the actual content that hasn't been said already. Be to the point, concise and make every line a reason for why they need YOU for that job, not just list of what you have done.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    felicia barnesfelicia barnes Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've received several emails from recruiters on Career Builder and Monster. However, most are not what I want. I have two Associate degrees (Accounting & Computer Science) I'm attending a technical school right now going for my A+ Certification. I just posted my resume three days ago and have five offers in the Accounting or Sales field. It appears this area definitely needs help. My resume contains most of my Help Desk experience and still I get all of these Accounting and Sales offers. I really want a career in the IT field. I did receive an invitation from Robert Half to apply for jobs and some other Agency. The problem I have is most IT jobs I see are doing the day, but I have school during the day. I need something flexible or evenings. I just quit a job working 3rd shift during data entry. I was tired of sitting all night in front of the computer screen typing numbers. I was so stressed out. It was boring and I think it was a case of job burnout. I don't know what to do so I really understand what some of you are going through.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I've received several emails from recruiters on Career Builder and Monster. However, most are not what I want. I have two Associate degrees (Accounting & Computer Science) I'm attending a technical school right now going for my A+ Certification. I just posted my resume three days ago and have five offers in the Accounting or Sales field. It appears this area definitely needs help. My resume contains most of my Help Desk experience and still I get all of these Accounting and Sales offers. I really want a career in the IT field. I did receive an invitation from Robert Half to apply for jobs and some other Agency. The problem I have is most IT jobs I see are doing the day, but I have school during the day. I need something flexible or evenings. I just quit a job working 3rd shift during data entry. I was tired of sitting all night in front of the computer screen typing numbers. I was so stressed out. It was boring and I think it was a case of job burnout. I don't know what to do so I really understand what some of you are going through.

Don't believe careerbuilder for a second. These people just sift through all the resumes and send spam mails out. I've actually removed my resume and filled my profile with non-sense (including a fake email) since you can't actually delete your account if you tried. I'm still getting emails asking me to help sell Antique European furniture. Signing up to careerbuilder was the biggest mistake. I've had to block about 10 different variants from careerbuilder to eliminate most of the mails I'm getting from them.
  • Options
    felicia barnesfelicia barnes Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the update. Now I know why I'm getting offers for jobs I don't want.