Options

Solutions for a bootable disk

druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
What kind of bootable disks do you guys keep and use for your toolkits and troubleshooting?

I have seen BartPe but I question the legality of it because it builds it from windows...

I have heard of other people using a disk or flashdrive with a small distribution of linux on it.

What solutions do you guys use?

Here is the link to Bart Pe if you want to look at it.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Comments

• Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bart PE is legal as long as it's your own distro* of it (or the enterprise). I use it constantly, and would have a hard time going with anything else.

EDIT: *= distro of windows
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    Thats nice to know, I built one disk but I have not used it much. Did you add anything to the disk you made it on or did you do standard?

Is yours on a Cd-rom or did you do it onto a flash drive? I read something on putting it onto a flash drive but I never attemped it, thinking of doing so now.
  • Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've always used it as CD. I've used syslinux for a ghost thumb drive before, but, always found bart easier. I've added several things to it, antivirus, spybot, ghost and whatever else was required at the time. If you google bart pe add ons, there's a site within the first 10 that will give you close to 1000 different add-ons you can use.
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    Thanks. Maybe I will attempt to improve my disk tomorrow. I might try the linux thing as well. I have barely used linux but I think it might be helpfull to know, and seems interesting to me.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□