Options

help with IOS install

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I got my hands on a cisco catlyst 2950 swith, and Im trying to get an IOS installed on it. It currently has no IOS installed on it right now. I can successfully talk to the switch via hyperterminal, and have TFTP server set up, with a .tar image file waiting to go. Im fairly "green" with the cisco interface and quite unfamiliar with the commands.

I have been "googling" for a while and looking at my cisco press books, but I can only find the instructions on how to install an "fresh" IOS on a ROUTER, not a switch (not really sure if there is a difference, but it does look different to me). and since all the help I can find is regarding the commands with an already installed IOS, I dont think its going to help me out.

I was hoping that the Cisco gurus can point me in the right direction of some white papers or any other info that can help me out installing a "fresh" IOS image on a catlyst 2950 switch.

any help is appreciated

cheers,
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will need to extract the .bin file from the .tar and upload it through the console port (because it has no IOS) using the send file option in hyperterm (use xmodem 1k). This will take awhie becaue it's a 3-4MB file at 9600 bps. You will need to mount the filesystem using the flash_init command and the boot_helper command. After that use the "copy xmodem: flash:<filename>" command/ Here are some more instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another link: Upgrading Software Images on Catalyst 2950 and 2955 Series Switches Using the Command Line Interface -- a.k.a. "the easy way."

Everyone should do at least one XMODEM install (a.k.a. "the hard way") -- that's usually enough to insure you'll never accidentally erase an IOS ever. icon_lol.gif Use copy and paste for the filename -- I didn't figure that out until after my 3 attempts to type the filename correctly in my Network Academy Lab. And while the IOS is transferring with XMODEM, you can read the "easy link" to kill some time.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Everyone should do at least one XMODEM install (a.k.a. "the hard way") -- that's usually enough to insure you'll never accidentally erase an IOS ever. icon_lol.gif

my experiences with XMODEM have been, well....slow! icon_lol.gif ha-ha

and this is why I LOVE this site. The friendly responses and helpful responses to a person out of his scope of expertise.

this info looks like what im missing. Ill give this a whirl tomorrow.

Thanks guys in advance!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    UPDATE:

xmodem transfer took about 1.5 hours. Loaded IOS just fine, followed the verification steps on the white papers, no problem.

I want to thank mikej412 and dtlokee for your help on this one. Your direction was most excellent!

cheers!