Options

Army Soldier with a question...

HollisDarbyHollisDarby Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm a US Army Infantry soldier currently deployed to Iraq. I've been taking the time during my free time to study up on networking concepts. I must admit, I'm not all that far into the program but need a little advice. With my little background in the networking area, should I first go for the CompTIA Network + or just continue to study towards with will be the CCENT?

Secondly, if I actually recieve my CCENT, what else will I have to do to obtain my CCNA certification?

Thank you very much for taking your time to help.

SPC Hollis Darby
US ARMY Infantry
SPC Hollis Darby
US Army
Infantry

Comments

• Options
    happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm a US Army Infantry soldier currently deployed to Iraq. I've been taking the time during my free time to study up on networking concepts. I must admit, I'm not all that far into the program but need a little advice. With my little background in the networking area, should I first go for the CompTIA Network + or just continue to study towards with will be the CCENT?

Secondly, if I actually recieve my CCENT, what else will I have to do to obtain my CCNA certification?

SPC Hollis Darby
    US ARMY Infantry

Hey there Hollis!
    I too was in the army, but I was a 31F deployed in Iraq. I encourage you to keep your head up and continue with your studies. I think that you should take the network+ exam first. Then proceed on by focusing on the CCENT cert.
    For the CCENT cert you will have to take exam 640-822 ICND1. After you pass this exam you will have to then take exam: 640-816 ICND2 in order to obtain your CCNA cert. Take care bud! :D
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too was in the army, but I was a 31F deployed in Iraq. I encourage you to keep your head up
    Are you sure you were in the army? i would have thaught part of your training would have mentioned keeping your head down!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote:
    I too was in the army, but I was a 31F deployed in Iraq. I encourage you to keep your head up
    Are you sure you were in the army? i would have thaught part of your training would have mentioned keeping your head down!

Well... see that's just the thing. Anyone that is former military understands that, while you are in you somehow just don't seem to do things the way you are supposed to. :) Hence the term "Adjust fire" icon_lol.gif

Actually, I was trying to sound encouraging. Being how I was out there myself thinking about how long I had, and how I was going to continue my career in Networking as soon as I got out. Things get a little hard out there and other people will discourage you knowing that you are trying to better yourself and they themselves can't or just don't want to.
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    The Network + Certification is great for those who are looking for a way to prove their networking knowledge without having or wanting to going the Cisco route. It's also a good starting point in the networking field...

But now with the revised CCNA and the option on going the CCENT route, in my opinion your time would better spent going for the CCENT first as it's also considered entry level and will give you a solid foundation of networking knowledge (not to mention complete 1 of 2 for CCNA and give you CCENT certification) as well as some Cisco knowledge. In the end once you achieved CCNA going this route and if you wanted to go back for your Network +, it would be a cakewalk for you as you will be very well prepared. If you went the CCENT route first you would take 2 exams total for CCNA:

640-822 ICND1: This would give you CCENT Certification
    then
    640-816 ICND2: This combined with the 640-822 would give you CCNA Certification

That's it and all for CCNA

Check out this link here for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_all_certification_exams_list.html#~exams-certification

I and others here too would highly recommend creating a login and check out the CCNA prep center as it contains tons of great information to help you along in your studies towards CCNA. This site here is also golden as far as the amount of help you can obtain here as well. Do not be afaid to ask.

Welcome and good luck in your studies! Thanks for your service to our country by the way! :D
  • Options
    jediknight wrote:
    The Network + Certification is great for those who are looking for a way to prove their networking knowledge without having or wanting to going the Cisco route. It's also a good starting point in the networking field...

But now with the revised CCNA and the option on going the CCENT route, in my opinion your time would better spent going for the CCENT first as it's also considered entry level and will give you a solid foundation of networking knowledge (not to mention complete 1 of 2 for CCNA and give you CCENT certification) as well as some Cisco knowledge. In the end once you achieved CCNA going this route and if you wanted to go back for your Network +, it would be a cakewalk for you as you will be very well prepared. If you went the CCENT route first you would take 2 exams total for CCNA:

640-822 ICND1: This would give you CCENT Certification
    then
    640-816 ICND2: This combined with the 640-822 would give you CCNA Certification

That's it and all for CCNA

Check out this link here for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_all_certification_exams_list.html#~exams-certification

I and others here too would highly recommend creating a login and check out the CCNA prep center as it contains tons of great information to help you along in your studies towards CCNA. This site here is also golden as far as the amount of help you can obtain here as well. Do not be afaid to ask.

Welcome and good luck in your studies! Thanks for your service to our country by the way! :D

You still have to take in to account that he has stated that he has very little networking experience. So having said that, most of us know that you have to at least have the basics down before you really start going into networking. Either way this fine soldier intends to go is golden, but I would thinkt that the most easiest route would be to get some of the fundementals down and knock out the network + exam first.... heck even study the CCENT cert at the same time if he's that fast of a learner.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say the Network+ is better known than the new Cisco CCENT -- and it doesn't expire. Plus I think you can snag the A+ and use that with the Net+ as an elective if you decide to pursue some MS Certs (the MCSA?).

If you decide to do the two exam route on the way to the CCNA, then the CCENT should be easy (after the Network+) and you get the extra "resume candy."

Definitely keep your head down -- and Study for Effect!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□

SPC Hollis Darby
    US ARMY Infantry

I say keep studying for the CCENT. It's designed to be "easier than the CCNA" so there's no reason to go for the Network+.

Also, thank you for serving your country. You're a hero.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with both Boz and Mike. The NET+ is currently more popular since the CCENT was just released and a lot of people don't know what its all about yet. I think in the near future though the CCENT might become more popular. I think it is really just a way for Cisco to get people to do the two exam path which means more money for them. If you are getting out soon you should probably go for the NET+ A+ combo and go for a help desk job. If you still have some time I'd suggest you try to cross train with the signal guys (especially try to get some hands on with the CPN or JNN) which will help you if you decide to go with the Cisco track.

Former 31F here as well. 31F which then turned to 25F and finally some of them got switched to 25N. The 25N are definatley the way to go for Cisco experience. The army is a great place to get some experience so if you are thinking about staying in you should reclass to 25B or 25N to get some good trainging.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.