Options

this may sound f****d up, but.............

Dubb RichDubb Rich Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got 2 drives on my system. D: & E: drives. I have win 2k on both drives. I used to boot to D: but the system crashed recently. so, instead of re-installing I just configured my bios to boot to E: instead. since the OS is f****d on D: I deleted the WINNT folder on that drive. now, when I boot to E: I get an option to boot to 2 different 2k installations. on one of the installs I get an error saying ntoskrnl.exe is missing (I'm assuming this is the old install on D:). the other option runs fine. now, how do I delete the 2nd boot option that is bad. do I have to edit the boot.ini? if so, how do I do that without msconfig?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Dubb Rich wrote:
    do I have to edit the boot.ini? if so, how do I do that without msconfig?
    Yes, with notepad.
  • Options
    do I save as .txt? what directory do I save to?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    On your %systemdrive% (which is typically C:, but since you changed it in the BIOS it will be E: for you) there is a file called boot.ini. You can open that in notepad and save it with the same extension (.ini). You will need to remove the read-only attribute to be able to save it.
  • Options
    I try to remove the attribs in dos, it wont let me.
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    i think that was like

attrib -r boot.ini

haven't used dos in years. BTW, I used to change that boot.ini file in NT and change the default pramerters with things like

"This is a *hell* of a server. Click here if you wish to get your head served"
    or
    "Click here if you're a real smart-ass"

Some people went and called microsoft and gave them hell. oh... back in the days.... we were bad kids.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    I used to change that boot.ini file in NT and change the default pramerters with things like

"This is a love of a server. Click here if you wish to get your head served"
    or
    "Click here if you're a real smart-ass"
    haha. I used to do that all the time. I still see a couple NT laptops at work that have been "altered"
  • Options
    Oh we had real fun. We used to have an NT server at our library at school. Our librarian didn't touch computers. She was scared of them tech gadgets. But all the other users, including the vice principle, use to go wild with screems.

Sometimes we even altered the boot.ini from another network computer in the computer room. So what we'd do was place a person beside the library, and when he saw the vice principle or another teacher go into the library research center, he'd inform us and we'd change the boot.ini to include his name.. so we'd do something like this.

"Mr. James, I know you have your head a few miles up your a$$, but if you wanna use me, roll the dice and take your chances..."

looooolol
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    very naughty
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol....
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    ahh.. kids are kids.

imagine if we were held responsible for every single mistake in our childhood, I think it would add up to a lifetime in a cell. icon_lol.gif