guess who has to pull cable all day tommorrow

Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
i'll give you a hint, his name rhymes with aquabat

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
i herd u leik mudkips lol

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like those days as long as it is once a year... It is just a nice break from the normal work.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    yea, it is kinda nice to just zone out and pull some cable now and then. And i get to wear jeans to work, i guess that is a plus, lol
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck with that icon_wink.gif

I have a question regarding cabling.

is there an easy way to crimp RJ-45 to cat 6 cable icon_confused.gif:
    it usually takes my around 10 minutes to connect a single connector icon_rolleyes.gif

one month ago I had to connect 14 "in 3 locations", it took me around 4 hours to complete the task
    +
    maybe my hands are soft, but it was really painful.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    more practice is what you need to crimp RJ45 to Cat6 and the crimping tool that you should use should be of good quality.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wd40 wrote:

it usually takes my around 10 minutes to connect a single connector icon_rolleyes.gif

one month ago I had to connect 14 "in 3 locations", it took me around 4 hours to complete the task
    +

Were you using a crimping tool? Goodness, if it's taking you 10 minutes per end you're loosing money. 30-60 seconds....maybe as slow as 2 minutes, but it should be quick.

Why do you hands hurt? The tool does all the work. Guess I'd need to ask how you were making ends? You mention RJ-45, and there is a crimping tool that runs about $20 that helps you cut the cover off, set the length of your exposed wires, and gives you plenty of room to slide on the RJ45 and crimp...viola.

There are other punch-down components, but there are tools for these and then I've used Keystone jacks that color-code everything and all you do is line up the wires and press door down.

I'd say just get yourself a box of ends, tool and some small sections of wire and sit down and make them until it's too easy ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    wd40 wrote:

+

Were you using a crimping tool? Goodness, if it's taking you 10 minutes per end you're loosing money. 30-60 seconds....maybe as slow as 2 minutes, but it should be quick.

Why do you hands hurt? The tool does all the work. Guess I'd need to ask how you were making ends? You mention RJ-45, and there is a crimping tool that runs about $20 that helps you cut the cover off, set the length of your exposed wires, and gives you plenty of room to slide on the RJ45 and crimp...viola.

There are other punch-down components, but there are tools for these and then I've used Keystone jacks that color-code everything and all you do is line up the wires and press door down.

I'd say just get yourself a box of ends, tool and some small sections of wire and sit down and make them until it's too easy ;)

Sometimes i forget to take tools on site myself. Had to rewire a 4 way UK extension to have a male "kettle" end to plug into a UPS, all I had was a pair of paper scissors and my chunky digits. Felt like Macgyver afterwards.

^^ No building fires reported yet
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    they say Bad workers always blame their tools, so I'm not going to say that icon_lol.gif

I use a 30$ crimp tool Like This one

I can make an excellent connection with a cat 5/5e cable in less than 60 seconds; the problem with cat 6 is the plastic core; if I strip a long portion of the cable I can do it in 2 minutes but having exposed wires is not a good thing.
    if I strip shorter portion 2 things usually happen:
    1: the white orange / orange wires will be pushed out & bind in a way that they will not reach the contacts.
    2: the white brown / brown wires will switch places.

I think some practice might help, I have to do one of those once or twice every few months ..

ok just got home, yes wearing jeans to work is nice. but jesus pulling cable all day gets old. my F****ing hair is covered in drop ceiling. i need a shower. it's not just pulling cable. but pulling 5 cat3 lines. 3 pair cable is to flexible and terrible to pull. ok, well that is my one time cabling for the year.

We better get some service calls soon, cause this filler work sux!

icon_eek.gif
  • druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do your cables turn out as high quality as the ones from the store? Alot of the teachers at the school I went to said they often turn out as low quality cables. I know if you unravel to much of the twist in the wires it degrades the quality but it seemed to me that they were lazy.
    the cat3 was from general cable inc. they have this thing called Quick Pull or something. there is a rabbit on the box, i guess it means that it's really easy and no kinks, but i'm not using it again
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My last job was as a cable installer, and it was hell. <_<
    We were running cable at a construction site for a college dorm. We were working around a lot of construction guys, some of whom were really vulgar and rude to us 24/7. I was fairly new, so the guy I worked under gave me all the crappy work and people picked on me for being new.

I about lost my mind when he had me pull the huge trunk of cables we had run out of the pipe leading into the future telecom closet, and had me pull it down the hall. I then had to separate the cables and organize them...there must have been dozens, a hundred? We had to run the CATV(coax) cable as well.

When they brought a truck of Coax reels, they had me carry those heavy things up four or five flights of stairs.

They said that if we hurt ourselves or fell off a ladder or something, we would be fired. Guess they were scared of work injures. I accidently cut my hand while carrying the cable reels one day...when the truck door came down on my hand due to the strong winds. I hid it and cleaned it off later when noone was looking. There was blood everywhere. icon_sad.gif

Needless to say, I tried my best and had to quit on the second week of this.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    yea man, people that just do cabling are so rude. I think it's because they only know how to pull cable and they are mad because of that or something. yea i remember your thread about that i think