Options

The Deal with Sec+

jenningsmajenningsma Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
First i'd like to say that this site is a very good place to visit if ur looking for feedback on the Security+ exam. I passed the exam today with 852. I must admit i did not feel good about the exam as i was taking it. I had way too many uncertainties on way too many questions. If you've read that the questions are not worded very well that is the absolute truth! In having said that let me say this to all those seeking to take the exam. Do not just take practice exams as your sole source of study material! Practice tests are just to provoke thought and let you know where your weak areas are. The test is too broad and too expensive to not go in to it prepared. My study materials were preplogic, testout and the CompTIA Press: Security+ Student Manual from the class I took. Also there was info in the technotes from this site that i had not seen nor heard anywhere else and i happened to get a question on it from the test. Thank you technotes! There is nothing wrong with gathering as much as you can to prepare for this test.

There are straight-forward questions, make-you-think questions, badly-worded questions, and what-the-@#&$-are-they-talking about questions.

The test is tough, but not too tough to pass the first time.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!

All of your assessment/advice is good.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Congratulations!

There is a class that is being run in my school for Security. It is called "Network Security." They are using the CompTIA approve curriculum so that people are geared towards the Security+. The only problem is that the Professor is not following the curriculum very well and is already off track by asking the class to develop an architecture for a network between several locations!

Anyways, great analysis!
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    I think i'm going to try the SSCP (Systems Security Certified Practitioner) the exam objectives are almost identical to the Security+ objectives. My company has vouchers they need to get rid of soon, so i figured why not? And what's wrong with one more acronym after my name, right? Wish me luck!
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    jenningsma wrote:
    I think i'm going to try the SSCP (Systems Security Certified Practitioner) the exam objectives are almost identical to the Security+ objectives. My company has vouchers they need to get rid of soon, so i figured why not? And what's wrong with one more acronym after my name, right? Wish me luck!

Good luck! :D
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    I said i'd take the SSCP but my company had no more vouchers, but they did have CISSP vouchers. So i said what the hell, why not? I took it in early November and found out yesterday i passed. Wow! i was pretty surprised. I studied for about a week and a half. But what really helped me was Sec+. It gave me a good basis of what CISSP went over as well. For those of you who have passed the Sec+ and are looking at moving on to CISSP. You can do it. Don't take it lightly but if you feel good with all the domains, make it happen!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on both your Security+ and definitely on the CISSP pass. Do you have enough experience/education to become an official CISSP, or are you going to spend some time as an Associate of (ISC)2?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I have seven years in Information Assurance. I just need to ensure my resume accurately reflects my experience.
  • Options
    edelossantosedelossantos Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What I know before you can take the CISSP exam there is a lot of requirements before you can qualified to take this exam.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What I know before you can take the CISSP exam there is a lot of requirements before you can qualified to take this exam.

The qualifications are for the certification process, not the exam itself. You may take the exam and if you pass you are considered a (ISC)2 associate. This can help you get your foot in the door and gain the experience required for the actual certification to go through. In that time period you also need to have "continuing education" credits, if I am not mistaken.
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    Hi Guys;

I'm little late for this but i got a question, after i finished my Security+ i wanted to take this test (SSCP or CISSP), i bought all the books and later i noticed that i was needing experience to take those tests and i quit, now after read this post, i checked the ISC web side and find out that i can do the test and got the Associate of (ISC)2 and then after a i got the experience i will be SSCP or CISSP.

My question is, this only apply for SSCP or both?, i mean, can i do either exam or only SSCP?.

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciate icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif