Options

Help with a possible job

ignign0ktignign0kt Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have an interview with the InfoSys manager at a hospital early next week for a Computer Operator position. I'm looking through the job description, and I'm thinking.. I've never done ay of this in a professional environment. This doesn't concern me much as I'm sure there will be some training. But as for the interview, I wanted to brush up on some things that pertain to the job. I was hoping you guys could help me with that.

Here's the "essential functions" list for the position:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1.  Monitors and operates computer systems in a timely and efficient manner,         
     in accordance with operating instructions, by:
       *  Executing a variety of jobs, as instructed by a Supervisor/Manager or
          according to a pre-established schedule of operations.
      *  Monitoring computer equipment and consoles for error conditions and
         messages, machine failures, etc.; also monitoring all output to ensure the
         integrity of each report.
      *  Correcting minor operating problems according to predetermined
         instructions or referring complex problems to the Supervisor/Manager (and/or
         other support personnel).
      *  Loading various input/output devices (such as tape drives and printers, etc.)
         as needed or called for by the computer program.
      *  Removing completed reports and tapes from the computer and distributing
          print-outs to the appropriate location.
      *  Maintaining the security of the Computer Room through proper control over
          access, equipment, supplies, report listings, forms operating instructions,
          manuals, logs, etc.
      *  Informing the Computer Operator on the next shift of the status of all
         computer systems, including any potential problem areas, system
         malfunctions and any other details/incidents which may effect normal
         operations.
      *  Determining terminal and printer problems and replacing faulty terminals and
          printers as needed; also communicating unresolved hardware and/or
          software problems to the appropriate vendor via phone.
       *  Assisting the staff of end-user departments to replace broken print heads,
          printer ribbons, etc. as required.
       *  Keeping the computer equipment (such as tape drives) clean as a part of
           regular maintenance; also performing preventive maintenance procedures
           (according to an established schedule).
       *  Assisting with the maintenance of the inventory of data processing supplies
          (i.e., paper, ribbons, etc.).
       *  Operating a variety of machines/equipment (i.e., decollator, burster, check
           signer, etc.) .
       *  Maintaining required documentation (i.e., problem and production logs,
           equipment malfunction information, etc.) according to established
           departmental policies and procedures.

2.  Maintains professional knowledge, skills and competence (i.e. current
     hardware and software technologies) in areas of responsibility by:
       *  Attending in-services and department meetings; also participating in
          continuing education and attending conferences and other related
          educational programs.
       *  Maintaining professional affiliations as appropriate.
       *  Reading current professional literature and journals.

3.  Contributes to the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Department by:
        *  Providing excellent customer service at all times.  Also communicating with
           customers and staff members in a courteous, responsive and helpful
           manner.
       *  Communicating with the Manager, Computer Operations (or other
           Information Systems supervisory/management staff if necessary) regarding
           any concerns or problems.
       *  Maintaining records, reports and files as required by departmental policies
           and procedures.
       *  Assisting in the care and maintenance of Department facilities, equipment
          and supplies.
       *  Working cooperatively with other Department staff on a variety of projects.
       *  Completing other job-related duties and projects as assigned.

Do you guys have any advice or suggestions? This would be my first IT-related job and don't have any real experience in the field. The woman from HR who I talked to, said that knowing linux is pretty important, so I'm going to learn as much as I can so I can at least talk about it in the interview. Maybe some of you have similar positions and could help me out what I should know. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    If you at least got the interview they are instrested in you. Just try to show up and blow the interview outta the water.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best advice I can give you is to be as honest as possible. Every interviewer expects there to be "gaps" in your knowledge, no one knows every single thing out there. Studying and learning is a good idea, but don't stretch it too far. If there is something you don't know, don't be afraid to tell them that. If you know a little bit about something, make sure they know that as well. If you're an expert on something, you should absolutely tell them that. The key I've found, when faced with questions or situations I simply don't know anything about, is to face up to the fact that I don't know it and show that I'm not afraid to look things up or ask for help. I try to emphasize that I like to learn and am willing to train and certify on technologies I don't currently know.

A lot of employers are looking for more than vast knowledge, alone. They also want people who really can learn, who are able to put their ego away and just read the documentation or ask a question. Sometimes, they're even looking to see how well you handle unfamiliar situations. After all, when you've been there a year or two, you'd better be willing to learn and study, or you'll be an "expert" on legacy technology and know very little of what's just coming out. Don't be afraid of not knowing, so long as you're willing to learn for the future.

Good luck with the interview, and let us know how it goes.

"We're going to behave and do as we always did, as if though nothing happened. If we're going to be damned, we're going to be damned for what we really are." - Jean Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ignign0ktignign0kt Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What kinds of set ups do a lot of professional organizations use? I assume they run the servers on linux and have XP for clients. For people who work in these environments, what do you use for backups? Do you just use bash scripts to run backups to an external/network drive? Do you monitor sever logs through terminal? I mean, I really have no idea how businesses do this type of stuff, and I don't want to seem completely ignorant when I go for the interview, ya know?
    Feel free to fill me in on anything. Surely someone here has a job where he/she does this kind of work :P
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    ignign0kt wrote:
    What kinds of set ups do a lot of professional organizations use? I assume they run the servers on linux and have XP for clients. For people who work in these environments, what do you use for backups? Do you just use bash scripts to run backups to an external/network drive? Do you monitor sever logs through terminal? I mean, I really have no idea how businesses do this type of stuff, and I don't want to seem completely ignorant when I go for the interview, ya know?
    Feel free to fill me in on anything. Surely someone here has a job where he/she does this kind of work :P

The best thing you can do is ask the company. No one here is going to be able to tell you what specific equipment they use, what types of servers they run, or too many other details about their organization. They could be a Linux/Unix shop, they could be running AD, they could be doing any number of things.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just don't make out like you know something that you don't. That is always a bad idea any way you slice it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...