Child proofing PCs

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Just wondering how you guys Child Proof your PC's to save headaches repairing them, aprt from the obvious disable control panel etc, use limited account (I mean system level not wrapping them in bubble wrap icon_lol.gif )

The child is 7 if that helps.

(Anyone use a mandatory profile for the childs user profile?)

Cheers in advance.
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you are running Vista, you could look into Parental Controls:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/70-620-vista/windows-vista-parental-controls.shtml

Following is list of 3rd party parental control software:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.sofotex.com/download/Security/Parental_Control/

And of course run gpedit.msc and enable every option you think would help.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, the PC is in the main room of the house so we can observe whenever we feel like it.
    Second, because of the age of our kids...they don't have Internet Access and when that day arrives, they'll be instructed on using the pre-approved links we'll set up.
    Third, when they are ready to start 'figuring' out how to access the rest of the web, if the controls on the software are not satisfactory, then http://www.bsafehome.com/ will be something we'll look into.

However, I feel as a parent it's my job to KNOW what my kids doing and if they are unable to follow instructions (such as only using the computer at the designated times, etc..) then they won't have it and will be only permitted to use the ones at the school lab.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sorry I didnt mention its XP SP2.

Thanks for the info so far

Plantwiz - Im not worried he will be looking at things he shouldnt etc, its more just if he accidently hits delete on the windows folder or something the same.

9.9 times out of 10 he will be supervised but as anyone with a child knows they only need a few seconds to mess things up icon_wink.gif (I mean im sure most people, if not all,. have done it themselves at times!)

Webmaster - Disabling things within gpedit will affect all users on that PC wont it?
    Its a PC im still going to use so need access to these myself and remove them for him.

Thinking of just customising the start menu etc under his profile to remove this kinds of things.

I will look at those links shortly, are the pay-for or any freebies? (No harm watching the pennies, before anyone says it obviously if theres nothing good to impliment for free I wont be putting the child at risk to save a few pence)
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I have found this KB article that may prove useful for what im attempting to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293655

It does state for a 2000 machine but in theory it should work for a XP machine aswell.

Will test this tomorrow at some point (mid night shift at work at the moment)

If anyones interested I will report back with the findings.
    yes, I'm interested in your path and how it works for you, please do report back. :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Disconnect the reset button on the front of the PC and make sure the cables in the back are inaccessible to the child. Make sure the power button performs an orderly shutdown or goes into stand-by. Using a case with a locking cover over the bay drives/power button is also a good thing.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Disconnect the reset button on the front of the PC and make sure the cables in the back are inaccessible to the child. Make sure the power button performs an orderly shutdown or goes into stand-by. Using a case with a locking cover over the bay drives/power button is also a good thing.

Sure that would work, but at that point...maybe the kid shouldn't use the PC at all ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    The kid is 7, how can you suggest not letting him use a PC

in previous employment in 2 primary schools kids as young as 4 are using a PC

Very small mouse mind, and they are surprisingly good at it considering their age

My oldest is 3 in November and i am going to build him a PC for Christmas, it is my understanding that if he is proficiant in IT he can use that skill to aid his learning in all other Subjects ie Learn to play Guitar CD Rom etc etc.

Lee H
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Give them access to every dirty site on the internet and watch them not go to any of them. :)
    Kids only want access to stuff they are restricted from.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    Actually, seriously, I know a family that has several kids and they want to block websites like myspace at certain times of the day. Apparently the older girl spends too much time there when she should really be doing schoolwork.

Are there any free applications that you could use to block access temporarily, or at certain times of day? I taught him how to add the site to his HOSTS file, but I don't know how long it takes for that to work. Does he need to clear his DNS cache first?

Any other suggestions on how to block this website?

KG
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Actually, seriously, I know a family that has several kids and they want to block websites like myspace at certain times of the day. Apparently the older girl spends too much time there when she should really be doing schoolwork.

Are there any free applications that you could use to block access temporarily, or at certain times of day? I taught him how to add the site to his HOSTS file, but I don't know how long it takes for that to work. Does he need to clear his DNS cache first?

Any other suggestions on how to block this website?

KG

Many home routers have the ability to restrict internet access based on time of day and the IP of the computer. Just be sure to disable DHCP and set static IPs for each computer on your network or yours could get blocked instead if they are taking them on a first come first serve basis. I don't think any routers allow only certain websites for specific times of day, but many software solutions could probably do it.

I don't have kids and haven't had to worry about it, but you could block websites through the router as well. Be sure to experiment with it through. Just because you block www.myspace.com does not mean that the myspace login page or the direct link to their account is blocked in some cases. I would recommend a software solution to block it as well and don't rely just on the router however. Both the router and software solutions seem preferable since many of them are easier to modify remotely without having to mess with the HOSTS file and without them looking over your shoulder at how you are blocking it in case they get inventive.
    Schluep wrote:
    I don't think any routers allow only certain websites for specific times of day, but many software solutions could probably do it.
    The DD-WRT firmware I use on my Linksys box allows the blocking of access to Internet hosts by domain name or URL keyword for local clients specified by MAC or IP address. Access can be scheduled by hour-of-day and day-of-week.

DD-WRT URL - Keyword_blocking
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/internet/26149-how-block-myspace-com.html

Found this website. I may see if I can use the HOSTS blocking method. I created a small batch file that opens the HOSTS and clears the DNS cache. I'll take a look at his router and see what sort of features it has.
    You can use HostsMan to manage hosts files, clear DNS cache, and a lot more. I have it on all of my machines.