Options

CCNP self-study

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
Just an exploratory question - I finished my CCNA at the local Cisco Networking Academy here in town, and I took this semester off to study for other things. Unfortunately, two of the four CCNP classes I would need are only offered in the Fall. So I'd have to wait an entire year to "pass" the schooling for CCNP, or study on my own for two of the four classes I would need to pass the CCNP certification. Now, what kind of percentage of people who do pass the CCNP cert. do self-study vs. taking the classes in school? Anyone have any ideas or could someone who already has a CCNP cert. tell me if they obtained the necessary knowledge with self-learning? It would be a big help.

Comments

• Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    i got my CCNA with self study only... plan on doing the same for CCNP.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    I think it truly depends on the individual. In my case, I am TOO impatient to sit in a class, too impatient with the pace of the teacher, and then even more impatient when the teacher has to reteach because some people don't understand something. I also hate being restricted to stay within the realm of what is currently being taught that week. I also don't like being almost punished or at least getting negative energy from teachers and fellow students for being passionate and wanting to really go deep into something and having the ability to learn faster than the average bear.

But, again, I think it really depends on the person.

However, to answer your question more specifically, I would say most professional adults study for and obtain certs through self-study. Some working professionals are even lucky enough to get corporate sponsorship (just like a sports star!!! WHOOH!) and go to really expensive bootcamps and such. I think the only people who consider and have the time for traditional schooling are the young ones or the career changers who have no previous experience.

Also, you asked if it is really possible to obtain all the necessary knowledge through self-study. It is only my opinion and observation, but as with anything, not merely certification, it is just the opposite. I believe you will NEVER obtain all the necessary knowledge simply adhering to some school program. Serious self-study is the only way. Of course serious self-study ON TOP OF going to some school program might just be the best way if you have the patience and tolerance to sit in a class.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Tricon7 wrote:
    Just an exploratory question - I finished my CCNA at the local Cisco Networking Academy here in town, and I took this semester off to study for other things. Unfortunately, two of the four CCNP classes I would need are only offered in the Fall. So I'd have to wait an entire year to "pass" the schooling for CCNP, or study on my own for two of the four classes I would need to pass the CCNP certification. Now, what kind of percentage of people who do pass the CCNP cert. do self-study vs. taking the classes in school? Anyone have any ideas or could someone who already has a CCNP cert. tell me if they obtained the necessary knowledge with self-learning? It would be a big help.

Tricon7,

In order to be eligible to take the CCNP1 course, you need to hold a valid CCNA certificate. So I'd concentrate on earning your CCNA before worrying about exploration.
  • Options
    hjcoumanshjcoumans Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lad,

Let's start by stating I'm an CCNP 'old' style with all the retired curriculum and exams (642-801, 811, 821, 831).
    Now things have changed big time (as you know).
    I did everything with self-study and it was lengthy. Doing classes is beneficial because of the hands-on you can have.
    I could not get lab-time and no classes either even if I wanted to.

As long I understand why things are going the way they do, I'm fime but just learn a page of definitions is like hell to me.

Because I was able to spend a couple of months dedicated to my CCNP and ordered some remote lab-time on the inet, I passed my final exam (CIT) on the 1st of December with only 3 weeks to spare.
    I left High school looooong time ago and passed 3 exams first time and only the BCRAN exam needed 2 retakes, and that was mainly because the official study-guide (from the CCNP self-study library package) didn't cover IPSec. After ordering some extra books, I got it all right.

It needs a lot of discipline to become CCNP by self-study, and this is not my strongest asset. Also I like to know everything about it, so I start reading related stuff. Good for your knowledge, bad for your exam prep progress.

The only Cisco class I ever attended was called Advanced Cisco Router Config, and I enjoyed every second of it, because of the driven instructor and that means bonus background info. And the hands-on of course.

Make your decision well funded and go for it (and stick with it, because setbacks will come for sure).

Good luck with your decision,
    Regards,
    Han
    ToDolist: (deep breath) (roughly in sequence) 70-291, 70-290, Security+, 70-270, 70-294, LPIC-2, (out-of-sequence) CCDP 70-299, CWNA, EXIN ISF, CISSP, 8 more EXIN exams and some more work...... BS
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good classes will definatley help you with your study, but not by any means a must. You can do it with self study but you will need some access to equipment. I use equipment at work, but I know everyone doesn't have this luxary so you will need to buy your own or rent some time. For the professional level stuff you really do need the hands on to grasp the topics. In my opinion experience is a must if you are going to do self study for the professional level certs as well. If you have the time and funds to attend classes also then you should be good to go come exam time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
    Tricon7 wrote:

Tricon7,

In order to be eligible to take the CCNP1 course, you need to hold a valid CCNA certificate. So I'd concentrate on earning your CCNA before worrying about exploration.

The school I'm attending here has the prerequisite for all the CCNP classes as CCNA certification or have finished CCNA 4, which I have, so I'm good for going back.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    did you pass your ccna exam?
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Tricon7 wrote:
    Tricon7 wrote:

Tricon7,

The school I'm attending here has the prerequisite for all the CCNP classes as CCNA certification or have finished CCNA 4, which I have, so I'm good for going back.

Tricon7,

That may be an academic prerequisite clearance with your school but not a Cisco Networking Academy Program prerequisite clearance from Cisco. Part of the CCNP1 registration process is to enter your Cisco ID to verify if you hold a valid CCNA certificate from Cisco and not some piece of paper of CCNA4 course completion from your school. You would have a Cisco ID if you hold a Cisco certificate such as the CCNA. Therefore, once again, concentrate on earning your CCNA certificate then explore the option of taking CCNP1 some time next year.