Options

What certs are typically expected of a Network Admin?

Well, I already have my A+ and I'm currently pursuing my Net+.

I'd eventually would like to become a Network Admin so I'm trying to plan it out.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    What kind of network? Microsoft, Cisco, and UNIX/Linux all have their own sets of certs.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Network administrator as in working with Active Directory and servers and stuff like that, or routers and network equipment? That title has become a little ambiguous.

First, if you haven't started pursuing some work, do it now without delay. It will probably be helpdesk, but you need some experience working in a real environment.

Anyhow... at some point when you're done with N+ start working on MCSA if you want to work on servers and active directory. When you are working on it, take the time to install the Windows Servers, work out scenarios, browse the Technet documentation on the different pieces of Windows server.

If you want to work on routers, take the CCNA track.

If you're not sure what you want to do, take classes in both and find what you like the most.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    JDMurray wrote:
    What kind of network? Microsoft, Cisco, and UNIX/Linux all have their own sets of certs.

Preferably Microsoft but I was curious if there was any general certs I should be pursuing before the specifics. For example, Network+ being geared towards the general knowledge of all different kinds of networks. Know what I mean?
    blargoe wrote:
    Anyhow... at some point when you're done with N+ start working on MCSA if you want to work on servers and active directory. When you are working on it, take the time to install the Windows Servers, work out scenarios, browse the Technet documentation on the different pieces of Windows server.

I was definitely considering the MCSA, but I wasn't sure if I should be pursuing something before that.
    First, if you haven't started pursuing some work, do it now without delay. It will probably be helpdesk, but you need some experience working in a real environment.

I'm actually doing Help Desk right now, but considering Network Admins usually require years worth of experience, I figure the only thing the only thing I can do is get the certs out of the way and wait it out.
    If you want to work on routers, take the CCNA track.

I'm more of a software guy so I don't think I'll want to be working with the cisco routers and such.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Then yes, if you want to work with Microsoft server domains, then MCSA/MSCE would be a good start and should keep you busy for a while.

CCNA wouldn't be bad for you to have, even if you don't plan to use a Cisco router. There is lots of general networking knowledge you learn from it.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Preferably Microsoft but I was curious if there was any general certs I should be pursuing before the specifics. For example, Network+ being geared towards the general knowledge of all different kinds of networks. Know what I mean?
    The CompTIA Server+ is suppose to be a generic cert for server room technologies, but I don't know how many job postings you'll find that mention it.