CPU speed misreported!

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I have a test PC and it's supposed to be a P3 600 MHZ, but both at boot and in Windows it's reported as 300 MHZ. Any solution?

thanks

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Could be a power issue or a problem with how FSB or Voltage is setup within BIOS.

Have you checked what the settings in their are?

Has it ever worked??
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Does it make any sense?

I read in the motherboard manual to change all DIP jumper settings to OFF to allow CPU settings to be changed via BIOS.

After I did that, the CPU is reported as 720 MHZ (it's supposed to be 600 MHZ). Should I be concerned? I suspect the CPU is going to overheat. Any ideas?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, what is marked on the CPU? And are we talking about a Slot or a ZIF type?

Check your jumpers again and confirm your multiplier is correct. I don't recall that era of board (when the jumpers set the speed) allowing the BIOS to override...though it's been a few years since I've seen a board of that era I did work on hundreds of them and the setting were handled on the board.

For grins, what Board and CPU are you using?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Motherboard: ASUS CUSL2-C ACPI
    CPU: Intel 82815 CPU
    FSB: 100/133 MHZ FSB

The CPU temperature is at about 55 degrees celcius.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    What have you got set in your BIOS?

What muliplier & FSB?

How about voltage? (not so important)

You say your using the jumper free settings, have you got all the DIPs set to off and the Jumper for JEN set to enabled?

IS there a specific reason your setting the CPU via this method other the other?

[Edit - What P3 CPU are you using? What you mentioned is the graphics controller chip on the motherboard]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    Sie wrote:
    What have you got set in your BIOS?

What muliplier & FSB?

How about voltage?

You say your using the jumper free settings, have you got all the DIPs set to off and the Jumper for JEN set to enabled?

IS there a specific reason your setting the CPU via this method other the other?

I still couldn't change CPU settings through BIOS. I have 256 RAM (133 MHZ) and since the FSB is 133 MHZ, I used the following jumpers and and after doing so, the CPU speed was reported correct (600 MHZ EB)

SW#
    1 OFF
    2 ON
    3 ON
    4 OFF
    5 ON

What does EB stand for? The million$ question is, how can I safely increae the CPU speed?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    binarysoul wrote:
    Motherboard: ASUS CUSL2-C ACPI
    CPU: Intel 82815 CPU
    FSB: 100/133 MHZ FSB

The CPU temperature is at about 55 degrees celcius.

The CPU you listed is your graphics card...what is the CPU?

As far as this question?
    The million$ question is, how can I safely increae the CPU speed?
    You buy the next speed up of the CPU. (I'm not a fan of Overclocking...see NO point in it). Otherwise you take the time to incrementally increase BUS speed and/or voltage to make subtle changes in your reported CPU speed. You stop when it becomes unstable. So that means yo make a small change, use the PC for a bit, if all seem ok, you bump it a bit more. I've never found this to be a worthwhile practice and strongly recommend against it.

I've got one of those boards still...I'll take a look at it Monday. I don't recall the BIOS of that board allowing for an override of the jumpers, but as I've stated...it's been over 5 years since using that board...it's possible. Regardless, if you set it manually, (yeah, I guess it might now that I'm thinking about it), you mathematically figure the Voltage x Bus Speed to properly select the Correct setting to match what your CPU has printed on it.

So make sure your BIOS is not set to Automatic unless you have your jumpers configured to allow for it....in which case it will find it correctly unless your board is damaged. If you have a bad boot, the BIOS will force the board to set at the slowest possible speed....and you'll need to go back into the bios to correct.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?