Options

Would this be a solid home lab?

Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got a Cisco 2621 (with WIC-2T), with a DCE-smart-serial-to-DTE-DB60 cable running from the 2621 WIC-2T port to a 2524 DB60 serial port. That 2524 has a second serial port that runs via DTE-DB60-to DCE-DB60 to a 2nd 2524, which also has a 2nd serial port that runs via DCE-DB60-to-DTE-DB60 to the 3rd and final 2524 serial port, which from there runs to my laptop i.e. my LAN. That setup should allow me to run all sorts of tests to see if I can:

* Set up a static, default, or dynamic routing protocol route correctly.
* Set up a VLAN correctly (I'll plug my 2950 somewhere in there I guess?)
* Set up a frame relay (once my DB60-to-V.35 cables come in)

And just to be accurate, I have to provide clocking on the 2621 and on the middle 2524 that has two DB60 DCE cables running in them, yes?

EDIT: Sorry, 2500 series routers don't have WIC-1T serial, they're called five-in-one serial or something. Different name but same purpose. I believe WIC-1T serial only applies to 2600 routers and up, plus like the 1600 and 1700 or something.
Starting my CCNA journey!

Comments

• Options
    Oh, and please do suggest if I should have gotten different routers. I can also resell or return.

And btw, does a "V.35 Balanced Line Transceiver" take DB60?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ^ Yeah, I've read all of them. None of them answer my specific questions or address this specific 4-router setup. I'm trying to duplicate it accurately and am obviously a newb.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There is no way you have to set your routers up. You can connect them all to the switch through ethernet and connect them together with the serials. Learning this is part of the proccess. Just go at it and learn as you go. Try as many different topologies as you can, that is the best way to learn in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yes I've been learning by trial and error so far, but I just wanted to make sure I've got all the right cables and such. Meaning, I don't want to be 5 days away from taking the test and realize that I have to bid on additional parts to be able to do something important (like setting up VLANS or something) only to realize that it'll take 2 days for the auction to end and another 4 days to ship the part. But yeah, I get whatcha saying. icon_smile.gif)