Options

OSPF and areas

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I think I'm understanding OSPF a little better now. I had thought that one OSPF area was confined to one network; but I see that one area can include multiple networks. Is this correct?

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you say network, do you mean a single subnet or a single administrative entity like an AS?

The areas are there to hierarchically separate areas of the network to decrease routing tables size, decrease processor cycles on SPF calculations, and decrease network flooding. IN OSPF you manually summarize at area boundries and AS boundries, whereas in EIGRP can summarize anywhere.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    Tricon7 wrote:
    I think I'm understanding OSPF a little better now. I had thought that one OSPF area was confined to one network; but I see that one area can include multiple networks. Is this correct?

Yup, that's correct, an area can include multiple networks.
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    Yeah, OSPF areas are made of networks and routers.

Inside each area, OSPF routers build a tree with the networks and routers contained in such area.

Each OSPF router is a node in the tree. Also, each multiaccess network is a node; i.e. each ethernet network is a node.
    I hate pandas