Options

FLAT ETHERNET CABLE???

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
Any such thing as a flat ethernet cable instead of a round one?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep. You can find them from time to time. The only place I know you can find them every time is included when you buy a new Buffalo Technology wireless router.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    kadshah wrote:
    Any such thing as a flat ethernet cable instead of a round one?

Yes. They are often used on wall installations where someone doesn't want/ or is unable to fish a line. The flat cable is less noticeable.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-50-ft-flat-cat5e-cable--pi-2102422.html

http://sewelldirect.com/Taperwire-Super-Flat-Invisible-CAT5-100-BaseTx-Ethernet-Cable-Belden-Taperwire-Twisted-Pairs-10-ft-Spool-White.asp
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Nice! Now if I can only find a 100Ft flat cable somewhere. Is it easier to work with than round ones are they stronger more flexible? I might need to install it under a rug.

thanks
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    kadshah wrote:
    Nice! Now if I can only find a 100Ft flat cable somewhere. Is it easier to work with than round ones are they stronger more flexible? I might need to install it under a rug.

thanks

You are welcome.

Not sure I'd say 'more' flexible. In some applications possibly because you'll be bending fewer cables, but you lose the 'non-directional preference' of the cable (poorly worded...I'm sorry for that). Round cables can simple twist into any direction within reason. Flat...well I'd say it's like working with Flat ATA or FDD cables. They fold nicely out of the way but they don't twist very well.

So, do not answer your question on flexibility....it depends ;)

As far as strength...the shell is comparable depending on the brand of round cable you use. Cables only withstand so much torture :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have noticed with those grey flat cables that come with the router when you buy it from the manufactorer, that they are very succeptible to noise and EMI.

We had a box on the wall that was making all kinds of crazy ass noises everytime we ran a voice grade, single pair wire next to the flat cable.

The flat cable was running from the smartjack to the T1 card. Well all this is mounted near a huge 110 block and PBX. we were running a cross connect on the punchdown block and we were feeding the single pair through the same staple that was holding the flat cable on the wall. Funny thing was the single pair wire was being pulled off of a spool with no signal or current. SO I don't know if the spooled wire was creating an electromagnetic field or what. That router sounded like the INDY 500 was going on in there everytime we passed the single pair next to the flat cable.

Kinda wierd!

The only good thing I could think about those flat cables is you don't have to worry about propagation delay and delay skew that you would have to consider when creating twisted pair cables.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    i forgot to ask about noise and EMI,thanks.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We had to put some new cable in an someone ordered a box of the flat ethernet cable by mistake. Its been in place for about eight months now with no problems, but if you are using it in an area like Netstudent said it would be better to get the tp. Just go for the tp just in case in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    viruscvirusc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    make sure they are actually ethernet cables.

Most of those flat cables are for ISDN/serial/etc. Just because it has a rj-45 does not make it a network cable.
  • Options
    I found this. http://www.broadbandutopia.com/uncarnetkitg.html
    Anyone familar with this kit? I was thinking maybe just buying CAT5e solid or CAT6 stranded bulk cable 250' roll. (I think working with CAT5 stranded would be better cause it's more flexible) I already have a plug crimping tools and extra connectors. Also not sure if i should remove the
    carpet and install the cable under the rug myself or get a professional to do it .
    I'm afraid I might ruin my friends carpeticon_sad.gif
    What do you think should I look in the yellow pages for a cable installer, see if his ISP can do it or do it myself?