Options

Question on DNS

ParmenidesParmenides Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a bit confused on what DNS is for Microsoft's stuff. In the routing/networking sense of the word I understand a DNS server for IP address translation. However, Microsoft uses the same word, but the word is a ?service? of active directory. I'm confused on what are the differences and similarities. Could you illuminate what the Microsoft DNS is/not?

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The microsoft service allows the application of DNS to occur. It will translate names 's into IPs by looking up records that you have created. Windows clients will query the Windows Server service that is running DNS to provide name to host translation. For example if a client pc wanted to connectto www.techexams.net it would send a message to the DNS server asking for the IP translation
  • Options
    Thanks for the help! just a few questions for clarification...
    For example if a client pc wanted to connectto www.techexams.net it would send a message to the DNS server asking for the IP translation

I understand that part, but that does not necessarily have anything to do with Microsoft's use of DNS.
    gojericho0 wrote:
    The microsoft service allows the application of DNS to occur. It will translate names 's into IPs by looking up records that you have created. Windows clients will query the Windows Server service that is running DNS to provide name to host translation.

Interesting... so are you saying that the server has its own DNS within the LAN? In other words, the server contains an intranet DNS server of its own?
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most servers normally have internal DNS. Alot of this is for Active Directory (which uses dns for its naming convention) and any internal websites the company uses. Any requests that can not be answered by the DNS server (external websites) are usually forwarded from the internal DNS server to an internet DNS server
  • Options
    Oh, ok. Thanks a lot! The MS press book seems to explain that in a very counterintuitive manner.

btw, are you studying for the mcse?