Options

CCNA vs N+

sumencsumenc Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am getting ready to take my N+ exam, but i was advised by a friend that i should take the
CCNA exam and not do the N+ as i want to do the CCNA after the N+. Please can someone advise me on what to do. icon_confused.gif

Thanks... :D

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    NET+ is vendor nuteral and less in depth than the CCNA. The CCNA is vendor specific and goes into more detail like configuring Cisco devices. If you don't have any network experience I'd say do the NET+ or at least learn all of those topics before hand.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NET+ is vendor nuteral and less in depth than the CCNA. The CCNA is vendor specific and goes into more detail like configuring Cisco devices. If you don't have any network experience I'd say do the NET+ or at least learn all of those topics before hand.

+1 :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    sumencsumenc Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks for that, i will first do my N+ before the CCNA, thanks again
  • Options
    viruscvirusc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1more

the ccna books for 801 test have a few chapters on N+ and how to aquire it. Cisco recommends getting N+ as it is in the book.

most of N+ is part of CCNA or assumed basic knowledge.
    N+ is easy compared to CCNA.

this is what I did.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This question has been asked several times. If you search the Network+ forums you will see what others have said about this. Here is a link to one of the threads when someone asked a similar question.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23809
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    meh, a lot of network+ topics are covered on the INTRO portion of ccna. If you're planning to go for CCNA, may as well just start with that and p ick up net+ later.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    meh, a lot of network+ topics are covered on the INTRO portion of ccna. If you're planning to go for CCNA, may as well just start with that and p ick up net+ later.

Its all up to you really I took Net+ about a year and a half ago...the knowledge helped def but i have a much better understanding through my studies but the Net+ did help on the INTRO exam...
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Sumenc, I'm in a similar position as you. I recently decided to take my net+ first and passed it about a week and a half ago. I started studying for my ccna yesterday and the knowledged that I gained from Net+ is making the studying much easier because I'm already familiar with stuff such OSI model, IP address classes and other vendor neutral topics. If you can, take Net+ first and give yourself a solid foundation. Another reason is that Net+ is a pretty easy test compared to CCNA, in what I've read so far, so it gives you positive momentum if you pass it going into your CCNA.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Adding to the fact the Net+ is easy, it's another certification to have on your resume. Anything that can make you stand out from the rest is good.

Ya I guess you could replace Net+ with CCENT, but once you have your CCNA, the CCENT is kinda out the window. Net+ on the other hand stays with you and will always be on your resume.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    If you already have started your Network + training and are pretty much ready to take the exam you should finish out your Network + then go for CCNA. As others have mentioned Network + is a good resume builder,, will help you get some basics down before starting CCNA, and it does not expire. In the end I think it really does not matter which way you go as you can do both eventually, but if you did CCNA first for any reason, Network + would be a cakewalk for you.
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:

I agree. As far as I remember, there is very little in the Network+ NOT covered by the CCNA Intro books. The N+ is extremely basic and for beginners. When I studied for it, it was IP addressing, subnetting, but mostly, it was network topology (ring, bus, mesh, star).
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Like the others stated the N+ will look good on your resume, but once you get the CCNA I don't think the N+ will even be looked at anymore. I never did my N+ because I think the CompTIA certs are WAY over priced and don't really help you out too much (especially if you already have years of experience like I did when I decided to start pursuing certs). If you are new it might take you a while to learn the CCNA material so if you want to be certified now get thw N+. If you aree not looking for a job currently I'd just learn the basics with a N+ or general networking book and then move onto the CCENT CCNA route.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.