Options

Need to turn windows 2000 into a router

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
Hi all. Been racking my brain on this the last 2 days and need help.

I have a network at work here that I need to do some things.

WAN link comes through a donated line, which is a 10.24.x.x IP. I can route with this fine.

Internal subnet (172.16.x.x) needs to hold about 50 computers at any one time, although we switch them out constantly (we repair computers for schools). They need to be able to be DHCP and able to route the internet.

DHCP service is to be provided by a program called TFTP32. This must be the DHCP server because there is a PXE boot file that seems to only work with it, and this is what we network boot our computers that are being repaired to, which then downloads an image of that computer. This part works just fine.

The thing I need, and can't seem to do, is turn a machine into a router, to translate requests from the internal network, to the WAN. I was using Windows 2000 server and it worked fine, but we do not have a license for it so I can no longer use it. It has to be on Windows 2000 professional. ICS works as a router fine, but conflicts with our TFTP program and lose that ability.

Obviously a router would do the trick, but we are a non-profit, and there are none here.

Does anyone else know how to turn windows 2000 into a router, while letting another program/machine handle the DHCP? There is no budget so it must be free.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments