Options

workstation can't access a specific ip?

jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
I have a machine at work, and it cannot access only one machine, it gets to all others just fine, and all other machines can access the server, only this one can't, also, the server can't see the machine, and has no trouble with any other machines on the network,

no firewall

tried using host files...

this just doesn't make sense, it's only when trying to access one server, can't ping it by name or ip, can't browse to it with unc, can't open it in my network places....

any thoughts? icon_confused.gif:
get back to studying!!!

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the "Computer Browser" Service running on said server?

What OS is this?
  • Options
    yes, the server is 2000, workstation is xp

no issues with any other servers or workstations from either machine......
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    Ok, let me make sure I understand you.

You have a machine running Windows 2000 Server, we will call A, that cannot be accessed by only one workstation running Windows XP, we will call B. All other PCs, we will just call them C-Z to keep the Alphabet Gods happy, can access A and B. B can access C-Z just not A? Are C-Z running XP as well?

Now, how much wood can a Wood Chuck Chuck?
  • Options
    hahaha

yep, you got it

a and b can't talk to each other but both can talk to c-z

icon_lol.gif
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I'd sit A and B down and make sure that they aren't having any problems with each other. I've seen this before. usually ends up in violence icon_sad.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Is B-Z in the same OU?

What are the SMB signing options set to on A?

What are the SMB signing options set to on C-Z?

Are A-Z on the same subnet?

Can you ping A from B using IP Address, NetBios and FQDN?

Can you access shares on A from B using A's IP addy (ex.\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share)?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you get any error messages? Are you using any IPSec policies? Have you checked for any event logs? Can you run a TCPDump on either/both machines? Are we talking Active Directory domain environment?

Interesting problem. I have had something similar when the LAN Manager authentication level does not match.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    it is active directory.....

the machines are in two different buildings, different OUs, but, other machines in the same location can talk to the server and the server can talk to them, and.....it worked before, not sure when it stopped as I just got the problem escalated to me.

I thought about ipsec, but there are no policies enabled, i've talked it over with the other admins and even my director (very knowledgeable in networking) and none of us have seen this before, I've tried multiple things and none have worked

new ip for the workstation

clear dns cache

check nslookup (works)

rebuild winsock ( hey....just trying anything lol)

update nic card drivers

verify the port on the switch is in proper operation.....

the problem is isolated to one machine and only between it and one other server....

weird
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    What about the LAN Manager authentication level as sprkymrk mentioned?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are running AD, drop B out of the domaian and than register it again. Is your AD on SVR 2000? If you can register to AD and your AD is host by SVR 2000, then you should able to ping machine B.

AD is good when everything work!!! That's why IT guys still need to pay more. ha..ha..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    hahahaha

I went over to the building, grabbed the laptop....and brought it to my office

guess what....

it works lol, over here, over there he is using a docking station, may or may not be the issue but, at least I am making progress...it's not the switch, nothing on his port would limit this, though, I reset his port just to make sure...

i'll let you all know what happens.
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    Did moving the laptop put it on another subnet? Will it work from the original location sans the docking station? Hmmm... icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Key question: When you tried to ping the machine by name, does it resolve the name to an IP address before timing out, or does it simply give you a "could not find host"?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    yes, it resolves the name to an IP, sometimes i'll get one reply

if I do a ping -t i'll get a reply like every 12-14 tries...crazy gremlins!!

haven't had a chance to get back over there, i'm gonna try without the docking station, i'll report back

thanks
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    update!!

okay

so, I went over, no docking station, didn't work

I switched jacks, didn't work

switched ports on the switch, didn't work

tried another laptop on the same connection, didn't work

outrageous.......

went back, switched out the hard drive and put it in another laptop....didn't work

soooooooo, after pulling out my hair.....reinstalling the drivers..again...and then doing a continuous ping.....I put the laptop in another cubicle...worked...

so now i'm thinking, okay maybe it's the cabling back to the switch, so, I run a cable from one cube to this one....put that connection in the same port as the original (only one open) and.....no go....

scratched my head...then

put the cable in another free port on a smaller edge switch we put in there....worked....!!!!

I have no idea why...something on the main switch didn't like the laptop comming in on that module on the switch...crazy.. icon_wink.gif
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    Oh, that makes perfect sense. The gremlins ate through the kabobulator. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Oh, that makes perfect sense. The gremlins ate through the kabobulator. icon_lol.gif

hah.....my thoughts exactly! :D
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:

yes, now that you mention it, that does make sense!!!

don't know why I didn't check the kobobulator first......... icon_redface.gif

i'll remember that next time though
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I think we should all give up IT and just open a Taco Stand.

Less Gremlins.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    indeed
    get back to studying!!!