need advice

cokedogcokedog Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello people,
I'm new to this site and I'm thinking about getting my cert in A+. I have a AS degree in Computer and Electronics Engineering (CEET) from ITT and graduated in 03. I'm in the military and about to retire in 5 years. Should I go ahead and start getting my Certs or wait till its close to my retirement?
Thank you.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    CompTIA certs do not expire so it's really your choice. The objectives just changed in '06 so it could be another year before they make major revisions...maybe 2 years (though the only people who know this are CompTIA people ;) ).

If you have the time and the resources, sure, start with A+ and NET+, then consider maybe Sec+ or the Linux ones.....if of course these are areas you are interested in.

What sort of IT work do you anticipate pursuing? Because if you don't wish to work with hardware (aside from changing a PS or NIC on occassion) there may be little need for an A+ when you could begin moving through your MS or Cisco certs.

Simple answer, yes, you can start if you'd like. :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • cokedogcokedog Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    CompTIA certs do not expire so it's really your choice. The objectives just changed in '06 so it could be another year before they make major revisions...maybe 2 years (though the only people who know this are CompTIA people ;) ).

If you have the time and the resources, sure, start with A+ and NET+, then consider maybe Sec+ or the Linux ones.....if of course these are areas you are interested in.

What sort of IT work do you anticipate pursuing? Because if you don't wish to work with hardware (aside from changing a PS or NIC on occassion) there may be little need for an A+ when you could begin moving through your MS or Cisco certs.

Simple answer, yes, you can start if you'd like. :)

Thanks for the advise. the community college here offers i believe A+ certs and I think that they are 5 days long. how long did it take you to get your certs?
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    I took a class for my A+, well 2 of them so it took me a little bit to get the A+ (20 weeks or so) going to class 2 days a week.

I would say go for it, you have nothing to loose by getting them now and everything to gain, if you have it now, then you can start really expanding your horizons and not worry about having it later on because as stated, comptia cert's dont expire :)
    CCIE - COMPLETED!