Options

Off to Dubai!

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
I get to go to Dubai at xmas to setup some cisco routers. Lot's of sand and warm weather, ill miss the british winter....not!

Well its Qatar first and then dubai. But lots of nice sun :D
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dubai seems to be another capitalist, well that's a good thing more jobs :)
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I wonder if the techy citizens of Dubai are going "Dog gone !@#$ outsourcing all our tech jobs, and those Brits have such a horrible accent! 'I say good chap, have you given rebooting a go?'". :P icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hey spymrk

I am british and my accent is not horrible, lol

Our opinion of you yanks is not good so i dont blame you if ya dont like us

Lee H
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    Hey spymrk

I am british and my accent is not horrible, lol

Lee H

No Lee, I am just kidding. I really appreciate my brothers overseas. I'd love to visit some day too. I was just kidding around, I hope you didn't take it wrong and I do apologize for any offence. :)

Actually, your (as in UK) accent isn't near as bad as some of the southern accents they have here in South Carolina!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hey congrats! From what I hear Dubai is awesome. My uncle went there for some contract work (not IT). They set him up in a five star hotel and everything free of charge. He loved it so much he ended up taking a job there and staying for about a year.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are so lucky... Enjoy the 5 to 6 stars hotel. Take photos and record your tour.

have fun :D
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Lee H wrote:
    Oh please, you Brits love us Yanks! It's our Tony-Blair-Snogging-President that you chaps find dodgy.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Congrats!

I wonder if the techy citizens of Dubai are going "Dog gone !@#$ outsourcing all our tech jobs, and those Brits have such a horrible accent! 'I say good chap, have you given rebooting a go?'". :P icon_lol.gif

Haha! "What What tally ho old boy". But seriously, you yanks love the accent ;D

And thanks all, I will document my trip, middle east is huge for IT development now, its nice my company is getting a lot of outsource work there
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    And thanks all, I will document my trip, middle east is huge for IT development now, its nice my company is getting a lot of outsource work there

Take me with you...pleeeeease? :D
    Actually, one of these days you may run into Keatron over there. He travels a lot, and I believe he has taught security classes and done some some consulting over there.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Pash wrote:
    I get to go to Dubai at xmas to setup some cisco routers. Lot's of sand and warm weather, ill miss the british winter....not!

Well its Qatar first and then dubai. But lots of nice sun :D

Huge developments out there.
  • Options
    christenm123christenm123 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like one heck of a job to me. Hope you get paid well and have fun. :)
  • Options
    Cheers guys,
    JDMurray wrote:
    Lee H wrote:
    Oh please, you Brits love us Yanks! It's our Tony-Blair-Snogging-President that you chaps find dodgy.

Funnily enough, even though i do my fair share of slating you guys, i do like the yanks. I had my best holiday (vacation to you guys) ever on the east coast before before 9/11, visited new york, washington, Philli and even went north to niagra falls and crossed the border for a day(buffalo iirc). Everyone so damn friendly and helpful, couldnt pick faults. Loved it!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Pash wrote:
    Cheers guys,
    JDMurray wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Funnily enough, even though i do my fair share of slating you guys, i do like the yanks. I had my best holiday (vacation to you guys) ever on the east coast before before 9/11, visited new york, washington, Philli and even went north to niagra falls and crossed the border for a day(buffalo iirc). Everyone so damn friendly and helpful, couldnt pick faults. Loved it!
    i'd like a vacation out of here for a while. wanna trade?

but seriously, it seems that people like to blame the entire American population for our president's actions.. sure, they (not i) voted them in, but i don't think anyone knew the mess of crap he planned to start. icon_lol.gif

I wasn't old enough to vote for either election.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love british accents too, but only on a lady icon_wink.gif

Either way, Dubai sounds cool. maybe if I lived closer, I would be interested in visiting.

BTW, what does 'dubyah'/Politics have anything to do with Pash going to Dubai? icon_rolleyes.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    it seems that people like to blame the entire American population for our president's actions..
    Let's not go there and stop the "putting all Americans in one jar" (I had to make that up because I don't know the English nor the American expression).

Seriously no politics.

There's only one president here and you can't vote about it. (that's a joke people, well, except for the voting part icon_wink.gif )

And, icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I guess nobody watched the movie Triggermen...

For the record: British is not an accent, they are the ones actually speaking English. Brits from Wales, London and other areas in the UK have different accents, but what some refer to as perhaps 'posh' is actually the English language, without an accent. Technically Americans speak English with an accent. If you go to a highshool, college or university to study "English" (outside the US, e.g. in Europe) it's taught including to what you guys are referring to as an 'accent'. If you leave it out in oral exam, e.g. speak with an American accent instead of English, you fail. Maybe they lightened up on that issue but it doesn't change the facts.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    The large majority of people believe that anyone speaking their same language in another dialect have the accent and they are speaking "normally." Normal language is simply what you were raised with and nothing more.

I think what is truly amazing is how much a language can change just by isolating a large group of people for a while. It is even more amazing that when a person moves to another region with a different dialect they will pick much of it up if they stay there long enough. Even in Pittsburgh here we have our own dialect that is different than the rest of the Country. I hear someone different say the word "yins" almost every day yet I have not heard it once traveling (which I was doing a lot for a while all over the U.S.). I was in Denver and asked the concierge at my hotel where I could get some gum bands and she had no idea what I was talking about, yet I have never once heard the word "rubber band" used in Pittsburgh. If even something that small is so drastically different in one single Country picture what happens when you put Oceans and large land masses between people who rank horses as their fastest means of transportation.

One of our company's liaisons goes to southern West Virginia for a week to attend some meetings and talks with their accent for about 2 days after she gets back.

I am amazed our languages are not more different than they are all things considered. It took months for people to come from Britain to the various colonies in North and Central America and very few people went back and forth.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Forgot to reply to the actual topic...

It sounds like a great opportunity, especially in that period. One of our former moderators, 2lazybutsmart, worked (or still does) there for years and it's certainly not a bad place to be.
  • Options
    Truth be told im nervous as hell, no way near enough cisco exposure over the last 10 months. Gonna have to recap and track back loads, but hey thats the only way to stay fresh right?
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man you are so lucky. Soak it up man. Those are great life experiences. See the world!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    hey guys do u know the movie "pink panther" ? :)

british accent is good... just dont buy "hamburger"! make it Pizza icon_lol.gif

peace to everyone...im just kidding.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iUCDhvbQFmU
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options

Not everyone asks for a burger like that, especially after a few pints on the way home from the pub...beleive me.
  • Options

Inspector Clouseau was French, not British. icon_lol.gif