Options

WAN link using ethernet?

Tricon7Tricon7 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 238
I swear that I once saw a diagram (don't remember where now) where one router was connecting to another with no LANs between them, and the interfaces were fast ethernet. Is this done? I thought router-to-router connections were only serial interfaces if there were no LANs on the segment?

Comments

• Options
    Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    AFAIK you can only connect routers via serial links, be they DB60, smart serial, etc. Actually, a better question for us nobs would be, do serial and ethernet links on a router all each have their own broadcast domain? All ports no matter what kind should all have their own broadcast domains on a router, right?
    Starting my CCNA journey!
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi tricon7,

ya sure, why not? i mean why cant we use ethernet as WAN connection?
    same as we use a cable modem right? that was ethernet too.
    but nowadays - thereis a new name called metro-ethernet, faster line using fiber optic connectivity, and terminated in T1 or E1 speed.

so - basically, about WAN and LAN it is only how we see our network from user perspective. about its physical device connector - true that most of them using serial interface, but not today - you can use many kinds of interface like wireless and ethernet.

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually, a better question for us nobs would be, do serial and ethernet links on a router all each have their own broadcast domain? All ports no matter what kind should all have their own broadcast domains on a router, right?

I would think the answer to this is yes, remember routers break up broadcast domains...so each ethernet (or virtual ethernet) port would create/separate broadcast domains...

However, I don't think serial point-to-point connections create a broadcast domain, but may be point-to-multipoint connections, someone can verify this...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Serial will be Point-to-Point but you can multiplex the connection (split into various channels depending on the bandwitdh)

This then theoretically should be called a Point-to-Multipoint connection.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP