Options

2 NICS are better than 1

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Or is it, under what circumstances would you bring in the second NIC.

In our building we have 2 gig NICS but only 1 is being used, logic tells me this could be shared

Any info please

Thanks in advance

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    For load balancing, fault tolerance and/or speed. All our main servers have two NIC's teamed up, when it comes to teaming them up you can choose for speed or for fault tolerance. We use fault tolerance :)

-ken
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Load balancing is the best method for NICs. It is all usually called NIC teaming.

If you thought of this on your own then good job.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you talking about two nics in a server or a switch?

If it is in a server, there is usually a utility included with the nic drivers to setup the team.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Yes this is a server that has 2 NIC's but only one is being used

Can anyone think of an explination as to why it has set up like this, the spare NIC has even been disabled.

Lee H
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:

Can anyone think of an explination as to why it has set up like this, the spare NIC has even been disabled.

Lee H

Hi Lee,

What brand of server is it and what OS?

On most servers you create a binded/team interface where if one interface fails the other takes over. The preference to which is the default interface is usually decided with the binding program/software you use. I know you can do a BIND in linux fairly easily on most versions of it.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Lee H

Hi Lee,

On most servers you create a binded/team interface where if one interface fails the other takes over. The preference to which is the default interface is usually decided with the binding program/software you use. I know you can do a BIND in linux fairly easily on most versions of it.

Another reason would be for an administrative interface to handle stuff like backups or remote desktop. You create a VLAN for the administrative network and bind one interface to that.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    Lee H wrote:

Lee H

Hi Lee,

Another reason would be for an administrative interface to handle stuff like backups or remote desktop. You create a VLAN for the administrative network and bind one interface to that.

Aye mark you can. But i think many servers come with ILO ports now so you can just use for redundancy rather than administration.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    NinjaBoy wrote:
    For load balancing, fault tolerance and/or speed. All our main servers have two NIC's teamed up, when it comes to teaming them up you can choose for speed or for fault tolerance. We use fault tolerance :)

-ken

How does two nics increase speed? I thought only one at a time can be used for transmission.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    how can you set up load balancing with 2 nics on XP? is it possible?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    [/quote]

How does two nics increase speed? I thought only one at a time can be used for transmission.

[/quote]

I know very little about this topic but i do know that when you use 2 NICS you have them plugged into 2 seperate ports on the switch, this gives you 2 GIG of traffic coming in and out of the server at any 1 time as oppose to 1 GIG using 1 NIC

Lee H
  • Options
    dgbarrdgbarr Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    half duplex over full duplex?
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    Lee H wrote:
    I know very little about this topic but i do know that when you use 2 NICS you have them plugged into 2 seperate ports on the switch, this gives you 2 GIG of traffic coming in and out of the server at any 1 time as oppose to 1 GIG using 1 NIC
    Lee H

The technology is called " NIC Teaming"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Basically, you could have 2 NICs or more and teamed up as NIC teaming. The way you setup as nic teaming will either increase bandwidth or provide fault tolerence. However, the NICs and switch must be supported.

For example, I have 8 Intel Servers NICs installed as a team. They are all piped together. So with 8 NICS teaming, I will have 8 x NICS bandwidth. and Should 1 be down, the 7 NICS remain and still provide the services.

This is an Intel 's documentation about NIC teaming.
    http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/tech_brief/maximizing_gig.pdf
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Here is the response from the main IT department regarding only 1 NIC being enabled

Its not our normal standards to have two NIC's switchwed on. There are times when this is necesssary i.e. for Network Load Balancing and when two different networks want to connect to the same server e.g. Public and Ourcheshire. Effectively, trying to increase bandwidth by having two cards for what would be essentially the same purpose is not the answer. The main reason for having a second card is failover, if the active NIC fails we can invoke the second one

Hhhmmm, something tells me he has no balls to just come out with the real answer which is, "My boss wont allow it"

Corporate standards leave a lot to be desired

Lee H
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on the server and it's hardware, using a second gigabit NIC for additional speed is a waste of time. Lots of server hardware can't push 1Gb/s of data, so using a second NIC would be mostly for failover in case the first one fails, or to seperate the management/backup plane from the user data plane.

my $0.02
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Both servers are Dell Poweredge 2850, one has 2 GIG of ram the other has 4 GIG of ram, would these be good enough to push more than 1Gd/s of data

can the other NIC be configured so it comes into use when other fails?

Lee H
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    Both servers are Dell Poweredge 2850, one has 2 GIG of ram the other has 4 GIG of ram, would these be good enough to push more than 1Gd/s of data

can the other NIC be configured so it comes into use when other fails?

Lee H

Maybe so if Dell have a teaming/binding software available to do this. I love Hp's one click and done teaming icon_wink.gif