Options

Best Buy Called - interview tomorow at 10 - Last Min Advice?

szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Heyy everyone, - been 2 weeks since Ive logged in - been busy icon_lol.gif (sorry)

As my topic says - I got a call from best buy manager today.

So I have school starting September 24 and with bills usually coming around the 10th of october. I needed to find a job and last night - found out that there is a new best buy which is almost complete and they I guess were hiring. So I fill out an application and just waited to see what happens. And then today morning around 2'o clock. I get a call, and it some manager from best buy "joel".

We talk for about 5 minutes and since the store isnt operational - he gave me the address to a suite they have rented as their mobile operating station until the store is running and functional. Its going to open soon, so Im pretty excited about the interview.

Ok - now im unsure about this stuff - anyone know how much a tech gets paid there?

Oh and since its a brand new store - is there anything i should do if I get a job. Ive never ben in this situation before?

Oh and any last advice ? :P
"Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."

Comments

• Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I would say dress nice, act natural, relax and try to show off what you know.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I can say that I worked for the Geek Squad for a little over a year as a part-time job. There pay range is around $9.00 p/hour or so and it wasn't a bad job. You will have to learn to deal with some real pain in the butt customers or other technicians that don't always follow through but that is about anywhere you work. I don't know about how that store will be but in ours, you just didn't do tech work and had to help customers with computer sales also. Good luck, not a hard job but will get you some hands on experience with computer repair. Just a little warning be ready for the holidays as it gets very busy and crazy during "black friday" and up close to Christmas shopping season.

:D
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure what position that you are interview with, but mostly related with technology.

Some of key character for position in those supercomputer store are:

User friendly
    Team player
    Coordination
    +
    Your technical skills.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, time to put here what happened - i goto the interview and all goes perfect. Im there 5 mins early.

So while I was waiting in the lobby this guy - like an assistant manager comes to me and then we walk back into the suite. There we sit down on a table and the smalltalk aside - get on with the interview. He asks me a few basic questions like - where did you work before and how/what you did there. I was pretty fast in answering his questions because unlike my first job interview - I had nothing to be afraid of. He asks me a few more questions like - is there a time where you were not able to keep your commitment - and stuff like that so I tell him an instance where I could not volunteer because I was sick and had to have someone else come in for me. Since I had gotten someone to cover for me - it wasnt that bad of an answer.

While this was going on he asks me - if you were able to go into geek squad - what position would you ask for on the sales floor - or be comfortable working in. I told him Computer/Home Electronics all worked for me. Then he dropped a BOMBSHELL on me just so you know - our full time positions for geek squad have already been filled. I instantly knew this wasnt gonna go good

And then after its over - hes like thank you, so if you would be willing - please wait in the lobby until the second interview.

Its funny that I was going to have my second interview 15 mins after my first one. Anyways - this time while in the lobby. So this time this lady comes - and we head back in to the suite. I looked at her badge and saw that she was the "customer experience manager". She asked me mostly questions about customer service and since I'm very good at being a customer service rep - I answered all of her questions in good light. She then explained to me the same thing - about geek squad and all. But this time - she asked me something else. Now we have a new department where you wil basically be not stuck in one department and will be trained on all the electronics and will basically help anyone with everything. The way I look at it - it makes perfect sense with business. Why pay someone to sit around in one department when you can pay them same and make them good in every department Ya know ! Squeeze every little bit outa them .

After the interview was over - I thanked her and shook hands and she said - me and cho will combine our scores and if its good/or satisfactory or whatever their standards are - the general manager will give me a call for a final interview.

To tell you the truth - i wanted to be a Tech and not some chump working in sales getting paid how ever meager pay they wil give me (12 is what tech makes there) - And they prolly aint gonna give me more than 9. Which is seriously pathetic - Why should I invest so much and get an A+ and then work at a sales while they use my knowledge and pay me pennies on the dollar I might be wrong but - whatever. The store officially opens to people on 26th. One day after my b-day and we have to report to work in Oct 3-4. Im gonna see what happens after GM - but if its the same old - Im just gonna work there while I find me another nicer job - Robert Half pays 14.50 here. And go from there.

any thoughts/suggestions
    "Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well unfortunately many corporations are moving to this type of employment model. They want you well versitile and able to preform many functions not even related to information technology. For example you go into an interview and they want a systems engineer, then you find out they want a systems engineer with FINANCIAL experince and your thinking to your self already this is a waste of time and WHY WASNT THIS PUT ON THE JOB DESCRITPION!

It does drive people nuts but thats how they get more candidates.

Robert Half does provide pretty good staffing services, I've worked with them in the past.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1