Options

cisco 837

elementourelementour Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks im in need of some advice. I have a webserver running on my local network which i want to be able to access via the url (from within my network) which obviously point to the public ip of my router. i can access the webserver using to private ip address however i need to be able to use the links which i am currently unable to do. Im guessing its just going to be either a simple route statement or maybe a double nat rule. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am not 100% clear on the configuration you have, but if there is a static nat rule to translate the addresses, the router should also translate the DNS query to reflect this, so if the DNS response comes in and contains the inside global address, NAt will translate the DNS response to the inside local address.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    i have a nat rule to allow http traffic inbound to my server as below

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.10 80 interface Dialer0 80

the problem i have is when i try and access the webserver from within my local network, if i connect to the local ip 192.168.0.10 it works fine (untill you try use the links on the page) but if i try connect using the url it doesnt work. my old nasty safecom router worked in this way but i've not got it working on my Cisco 837 yet.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try editing your computer's hosts file. Or create an A record on any DNS servers you run internally. No need for route statements, as this isn't really a job for a router. It's more of a name resolution issue.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    elementour wrote:
    i have a nat rule to allow http traffic inbound to my server as below

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.10 80 interface Dialer0 80

the problem i have is when i try and access the webserver from within my local network, if i connect to the local ip 192.168.0.10 it works fine (untill you try use the links on the page) but if i try connect using the url it doesnt work. my old nasty safecom router worked in this way but i've not got it working on my Cisco 837 yet.

You are using a static port address translation rule so the router won't address translate the DNS replies, if you were using a one to one static nat rule it would. I would follow Mark's advice and use a name resolution solution, the router won't do what you're trying to do.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    yeah i have just edited the host file which has got it working, it just seems strange that when i use my old safecom router it works fine, anyway cheers for the help.