Options

RSTP port question

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
This question is from the Hucaby BCMSN cd...

What 802.1w port type has a segment's best cost to reacg the root bridge?

a) Backup
b) Alternate
c) Designated
d) Forwarding
e) Disabled
f) Root

I do not see how the answer isn't f) Root, and yet David Hucaby suggests it's c.

From the answer's explanation:

Designated:
A designated port is the non-root port on a network segment with the lowest cumulative cost to the root bridge.

Root:
A root port is the port on a switch that has the lowest cumulative cost to the root bridge.

Help me understand... what's the difference? Why am I wrong thinking that the Root port is the right answer.

Thanks,
mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikearama wrote:
    This question is from the Hucaby BCMSN cd...

What 802.1w port type has a segment's best cost to reacg the root bridge?

a) Backup
    b) Alternate
    c) Designated
    d) Forwarding
    e) Disabled
    f) Root

I do not see how the answer isn't f) Root, and yet David Hucaby suggests it's c.

From the answer's explanation:

Designated:
    A designated port is the non-root port on a network segment with the lowest cumulative cost to the root bridge.

Root:
    A root port is the port on a switch that has the lowest cumulative cost to the root bridge.

Help me understand... what's the difference? Why am I wrong thinking that the Root port is the right answer.

Thanks,
    mike

The key is the question said "segment" not "switch". If ti were switch then I would agree it's the root port, but for a segment the designated port has the lowest cost to the root.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Tricky question, don't expect anything less from Cisco icon_twisted.gif If you read that one too fast you will pick root port. I usually read the question twice to make sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    So a follow up question... is the connection from any switch to the root switch (assuming directly connected) not also called a segment?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes, what is the port advertising the lowest root path cost? The port on the root (root path cost 0) which is the designated port for the segment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Ahhh... nice. Thanks.

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember all the ports on the root switch will be designated (well except for the odd occurance where you connect a port on the root switch back to another port on the root switch.)
    The only easy day was yesterday!