Starting from scratch.

mattquestmattquest Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody,

I've joined this forum as a reference for CompTIA and I've been finding a lot of great stuff.

I'm brand new to the world of certification and am about to start a self-study for my A+ cert and hope to have a future as an IT grunt in the near future.

My question is this:

If you were to start all over again, or play jedi master to someone a bit cert clueless like myself what would you recommend I take after my A+?

I have no predetermined path I'd like to take so I'm pretty open when it comes to the type of cert. For me its all about what is in demand and what is useful but I'm finding a lot of disinformation out there. I know that if I were to eventually get my CCNA I'd have some good job prospects however I'm a bit stumped on the best path from A+ to Cisco.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated

cheers,

Matt

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums Matt, I would recommend getting Network+ and then MCDST or MCITP:Enterprise Support Technician certification. Start looking for an entry level job right away, even before you finish your A+. You will most like have to start out at Helpdesk or Desktop Support. Once you get some experience you can then start working on the higher level certs like MCSA/MCSE and CCNA/CCNP.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    Definitely go with A+, Network+. Then get some *hands on* experince, which will usually result in helpdesk. I was told when I started on my IT path, that you should not be on helpdesk for longer than 18months. I did it for a year and GTFO. Once you get a base of IT experince its just a matter of trying to claw your way into something bigger and better. Never stop studying thou. I used to take my MCSE books with me to work and study when things got slow.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • mattquestmattquest Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks, thats good info. i figured the next step was network+ and I'm glad to hear it from people who have it.

it makes sense to have a time-line on a helpdesk position as well.

thanks for the info, if anybody has any other tips keep 'em coming
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'll go against the mold here and say skip the CompTIA certifications. They are pricey and not the most highly looked upon certifications. I'm not saying to not learn the basics, but you don't need the certifications to learn the basics. If you want to go down the MS route then I would say start with a client exam XP or Vista. The A+ and N+ count as an elevctive for the MCSA if you decide to do them so they will help. A lot of people think you need the A+ and N+ to start your career, but that isn't the case. Will they help you get an entry level position? Yes they will help, but so will an MCP. It all comes down to what you know in the end. Just my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    I'll go against the mold here and say skip the CompTIA certifications. They are pricey and not the most highly looked upon certifications. I'm not saying to not learn the basics, but you don't need the certifications to learn the basics. If you want to go down the MS route then I would say start with a client exam XP or Vista. The A+ and N+ count as an elevctive for the MCSA if you decide to do them so they will help. A lot of people think you need the A+ and N+ to start your career, but that isn't the case. Will they help you get an entry level position? Yes they will help, but so will an MCP. It all comes down to what you know in the end. Just my opinion.

No offense. Most human resouces do not understand what certifications have more values. If they require A+ and you don't have it even though you have mcse, ccna, ccnp....etc, they just don't even ask you for the interview. Period. They require A+ only.

I have a few of my friends and myself run into this situation. This is why I am working on A+ now. A+ is not hard at all. If i get 2 weeks FREE (free that i don't have to do anything including housework :D ), I will pass it without any doubt.

A+ is only about $200 including the exam and book. $200 is really nothing from the first paycheck in new your job. icon_lol.gif

Please do not underestimate the low certificate value. They are there for a reason.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have a CCNA, CCNP or MCSA you probably not going to be applying for a job that has A+ as a necessity. Like I said it will help you with an entry level position, but if you are going for an admin or engineer position I highly doubt the A+ will be a deciding factor if you get hired or not. In my recent job search I haven't even come across any jobs or anything from any of the recruiters I deal with that have even hinted at A+ or N+. I am not searching for entry level work though. If the company is that confused about IT I would never work for them anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ParmenidesParmenides Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not in the know, but I know one IT recruiter who seems to think that A+ is rather useless. He thinks the MCP certs to be worthwhile. icon_confused.gif
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Starting looking at the job ads in your area for the type of job you are applying for, then you will be able to figure out which certs to go after.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298

Ahmen. Straight to Cisco or MS would be the most effective use of ones time.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]