Options

Need helping chosing Security Certification

2»

Comments

• Options
    vigsecvigsec Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am new to this site. Thank you all for the info. Really helpful.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ^ It really depends on what type of security job you want.
  • Options
    diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure if you have already, but you should right a book title "Breaking into Information Security". This insight would help alot of people better understand it. This is awesome.
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Having been in your shoes, all I can say is yes its difficult but not impossible. Always work the basics first. Without the broad base of knowledge there is nothing to really base the technical details on. Obtaining and keeping certs fresh or current is what I refer to as the "hamster wheel". You keep running to keep the wheel rolling... Its a drag. After awhile you can allow some of the lower level certs fall off for more interesting fresh and relevant certifications.

Cisco CCNA or CCSP will always be in "style" for the foreseeable future and really help with the base skills as mentioned above. For the most part those of us who have bothered taking the CCENT - don't bother. It's actually more difficult than just sucking it up and taking the full CCNA, unless of course, you really enjoy calculating CIDRs for hours on end.

Last piece of advice here is tried and true but rarely spoken: "No one wants to be the ex-tech..." Particularly after the dot com boom I became quickly tired of the folks who told me some to the effect of: "I used to do what you do...." Let me sum it up for you - No, probably not or you sucked and were forced out. (*snigger*)

Hopefully, that helps. If not PM me and we can discuss further.

- beads
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just read keatron's post and I really find it very useful (I'm new to the site :) ). I'm just starting out my career in the networking field but I really want to dig well in Network Security. I'm a fresh grad who just got a CCNA certification and I'll planning to study for the CCNA Security perhaps early next year.

I'm totally lost where to start with the basics, to start learning Linux first or go directly reading security certification guides? I don't know if I really should've placed this question here.
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What certification will land you a security job can be pretty arbitrary. It is not necessarily a matter of what certification is valuable, but more what your employer thinks is valuable. I landed my first security job shortly after getting CEH...which I personally don't think it a particularly impressive cert. But they had an IT generalist staffing security positions, and he thought it sounded impressive.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    My plan is to do Sec+, then MSCA:Security. I aleady have already taken a Citrix related security exam and i'm looking at another one next year.

Funny reading a post from 6 years ago and thinking about all that has happened since then.

I completed the Sec+ but never did get around to the MSCA:Security. I eventually took a second Citrix security exam (Access Gateway AE) and now i'm trying to figure out between the SSCP or CISSP for my next one.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    #1 pick#1 pick Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keatron wrote: »
    This was an amazing post. Really helpful. Is this still a good route in 2016?
  • Options
    latentlatent Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CISSP is next on the cards for me along with CDFE.

However, it is the knowledge and skills you acquire from doing these courses and certificates and building in it that is priceless.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was wondering all the Info Sec guys think of this track
    I have been in IT for years going from support to analyst to engineer. I've transitioned to Project Management with the hopes of becoming an IT Director/manager in the next few years. I'm enrolling in WGU to complete my MBA after which I wanted to continue my certification track of an IT generalist to have a broad knowledge of several IT topics.

My question
    What would be the most worthwhile security certification for this strategy?

Questions or comments, please let me know
    Thanks
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    my question
    what would be the most worthwhile security certification for this strategy?

cissp .
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cissp .

Thanks NetworkNewb
    Would you or anyone else here give some advice on how to apply? Is it as big a pain in the @$$ to apply as the PMP?
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)