Options

PC Problem

anilgopieanilgopie Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a friends PC, it's just under 2 yrs old. Lately he hasn't been able to use it, cuz as he logs in after about 5 mins, the PC shuts down. The recently it shuts down at the log on screen.

I checked the power supply, RAM. I tried putting another hard drive, one that I was going to put in. And still it would shut down after a few seconds.
I took it to a computer store, and they said that the cpu pins were bent. But after I looked at it, they were all fine. And like I said the PC has been running fine for nearly 2yrs.

Any suggestions?!?

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    could it be overheating?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    could it be overheating?

I forgot to mention that, the CPU fan doesn't spin faster than normal. It's normal.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Maybe, invest in some thermal grease like Arctic Silver and apply that to the core of the processor and re-seat the heatsink and fan.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like the bearings in the fan could be knackered or could require some lubrication such as WD,40 or a clean up if this fails then replace the fan, Take the heatsink off and check out the state of the thermal paste if you need to reapply then invest in some Artic Silver thermal compound Paste.

After you have done this leave the machine running ( start it up a few times ) and check the cpu and fan speeds in the BIOS to see if everything is as it should be.

If you still can't get into windows because of the shutting down issue I would then go into safe mode and see if the event logs will you tell you anything supicious about what is happening also run a system scan spyware and virus scan
    ( Could be a virus causing the issue)

Also
    What type of setup does this guy have? i.e how many drives connected, graphics card etc, If the PSU isn't up to scratch and is getting zapped by numerous devices then this would also generate strange behavior like this which could be a sign of power instabilty due to devices demanding to much juice from the supply.

Another thing to do would be to run memtest to eliminate if the ram is causing a issue

And One of the best things you can do regarding windows machines when they are giving you hassle is to download a iso of ubuntu live cd put it in your machine and boot into this O/S
    if Ubuntu boots up fine and you get no issues then more than likely the problem could be to do a corruption within windows so a reinstallation would be in order.

Hope this helps
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    What troubleshooting methods did you use for the computer hardware? You did say you put in a new hard drive and restored windows (I assume) then it Windows shouldn't be an issue, so I would think that you have another hardware issue. Let us know what steps you tried to eliminate the ps, cpu, ram and so on. I would recommend trying another ps, checking all fans(ps and cpu) and running memtest to start out with.

Let us know.

:)
  • Options
    I'll try re-applying thermal paste.
    I wasn't able to go into Safe Mode b4, that was one of the first things I had tried.

As for the system, it has only the one hard drive it also has a ATI video card. I had taken out the video card and tried using the on-board.

The other hard drive I was going to put in, that drive didn't have an OS as yet. Was going to install that in, but with the issue I was having couldn't do it.

I tried different sticks of RAM, tried a different PSU.

I'll try what u guys suggested and let u know. I got fed up trying to figure it out. That's why I took it to a computer repair shop, and then when they couldn't tell me I figure I would ask around.

Thanks, will keep u all posted.
  • Options
    Hello all,

I just wanted let you all know that the PC problem I was having with the PC shutting down after the logon screen appears has been resolved. The CPU was overheating, reapplied thermal paste and re-seated the heat sink and fan.

Thanks for all the suggestions, was very much appreciated.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Maybe, invest in some thermal grease like Arctic Silver and apply that to the core of the processor and re-seat the heatsink and fan.

Holy god! Tel him to buy a new one !
    Kam.