Passed 291!!! What exam should I take next?

az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I just passed the 70-291 on my second try:
- First Attempt: 680
- Second Attempt: 900

For those trying to take the 70-291, here is my preparation method:

Prior to my first attempt:
- Experience: Day to Day management of servers in a medium sized network.
- Ms Press: Breezed through the book.
- TTC (The Training Consortium): Online classes purchased by my employer.

After failing the first exam:
- TestOut: I used this to re-review the entire course contents after my first attempt.
- Transcender: I did some hardcore practice exam taking for three days prior to the exam. The most valueable part was reading through the explanations of missed questions to obtain a thorough understanding.

NOW my question is:
Should I do the elective and get the MCSA? Or continue straight to the 70-293 because the subject matter is similiar to the 70-291?

My thoughts right now are I have crammed so much knowledge in my brain relating to DNS, DHCP, RRAS, IP Subnetting, etc... that now would be the best time to start studying for the 70-293.

Does anyone have any advice who's been through this already?

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you need the MCSA right not for some reason (raise, job opportunity, etc), I would go for 293 because of the overlap.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Unless you need the right not for some reason (raise, job opportunity, etc), I would go for 293 because of the overlap.

+1 and congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • wpiersallwpiersall Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Royal is the master... 293 does have overlap

Have you taked 290 or 270?

291 being the hardest of this series... passing 270 & 290 would give you MCSA. If you goal is MCSE... then would be 293 after 270, 290 & 291. 293 is big on clustering.
    Who is General Failure and what is he doing in my computer!!
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Congratulations! Thanks for the rundown of the prep methods. Hopefully I can score that well on my upcoming attempt.

I've seen it mentioned in other threads that 293 has a great overlap of knowledge with 291. Like others have mentioned in this thread, unless your next test has to get you MCSA status, then go after 293.

Happy Studying :)
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass my fellow 'statesman' icon_lol.gif

it all depends on what you want to do, but everyone here gives pretty good advice. I have no input as I have not taken 291 nor 293 yet.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. I'm going to go straight into the 293.

I am looking forward to "studying" rather than the insensive "cramming" I did the last few days. :D