Options

Which first, MCSA or Network+?

evilsaintevilsaint Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody.

I just earned my A+ today (543 on HW, 517 on OS, crappy scores but no studying whatsoever) and i've already passed the 70-210 and the 70-215 MS Exams.

I haven't really done too much studying for the MS exams, but I did take courses at my local Comm. College for the full MCSE track and the 70-218 with an *excellent* instructor so I have a very thorough understanding of most of the topics, and I have all of the MS course-work study books.

As might be quite obvious, my plan is to use the A+ and N+ as an elective for the MCSA, so my next step is either N+ or 70-218.
I'm just trying to figure out which would be more beneficial to take first and that's where you guys come in.

Neither of the MS exams were too much of a challenge for me, but I was definitely able to apply the knowledge learned from some questions on the 210 to some of the ???'s on the 215. I'm pretty sure that the 218 will be a good deal easier than the N+, but i'm not sure if I should take N+ first to really try and nail down the 218 with a better score (it's still scored right?).

Has anybody gone through the same situation (A+ and N+ as MCSA elective), or has anybody taken the 218 and/or N+ recently? Any opinions/comments/etc.. are very welcome in advance :D

Sorry for being so long winded but it's my first post here and I deserve to be able to act like a n00b icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    If you don't really feel that you need Network+, take 70-216 and then 70-218--just skip Network+. With 70-216 in the track, you'll have MCSA and be ready to just continue on to MCSE. Unless you really want Net+ of course.

Good luck with your decision.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    evilsaintevilsaint Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't feel like I *need* N+ per se, but it would definitely help on my resume. Plus, the company I work for will probably pay for whatever tests I take :D

Would doing N+ help out with taking any other tests e.g. Security+, 70-216, 70-217?

Also, is self-study really enough for N+ or is a short refresher class worth it? I have a lot of knowledge of networking, but I don't have too much practical hands-on experience, and i'm not the best at remembering some of the details that would otherwise be mundane....
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Excellent! Take advantage of any benefits that your company offers!

I don't have any MCP yet. I'm just now starting on 70-210, but Network+ study certainly gives you an appreciation for the physical side of networking as well as information on protocols and their use.
    Also, Net+ builds its information in relation to the OSI network model. This is a 7-layer model and is widely used in network study and explainations. So far M$ studies have talked about a 4-layer model like the Department of Defense model. You may not gain all the knowledge of network models from M$ studies alone.

Net+ does talk some about security issues and should help with some of the primary knowledge of network security. However, Security+ should probably be approached after gaining MCSA so that you have a full knowlege of what you're securing.

If you've passed A+, you should be able to self-study for Net+. My favorite exam guide is All-In-One Network+ Exam Guide by Michael Myers.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you have a good beginning in IT. Best of luck on your certifications and you career.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki