Options

Salary requirements for a A+ tech + 2 year degree?

What amount of money do you think a A+ certified tech with a 2 year degree should ask for? And is there a website that shows the salary requirements regarding credentials?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Main Event,

We had a lot of people with that level of qualification at Geek Squad here in California. If they had no retail exerience, they started at $10-$11 an hour. Those who could sell services and had the lowest "re-do" percentages negociated raises to about $15 an hour after about a year.

If you were real good, they would plant you in one of those VW bugs, and that paid about $17+cell+car. But you would need to upsell the customers by about $500 a day in services (not counting hardware). Which was tough to do. Then again, I never was much of a sales person.

If you have good phone skills, a help desk might pick you up here in for about $14-$16.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not much, if you've never worked before. With a year or two of experience, $12-$18/hr DOE and maybe more based on geographic locaiton
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Back when I got my A.S is Computer Networking Systems, I immediately got a job as soon as I graduated from the program paying 15 an hour with only 3months of tech. experience. Entry-level system administration . With a 2year degree, I wouldn't accept anything less than 14.00 an hour no matter where you are. But if you fluff off, don't take it seriously, and don't have any skills, then that may be a different story. NOt assuming anyone here would do that.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    thanks for the replies... 28000 a year is exactly what I thought. It's a position with a Law as a Records Information something another, can't remember the name of the position but they said it required certifications (A+). I have no idea idea how that position would but they want to interview me for it.

I don't know, It's in Miami and I can't speak Spanish and I like my job that I have now (Computer Operator working 3rd shift).

I'll give it a shot anyways...
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    An employer isn't typically going to pay you what the combination of your degree, experience, and certifications are worth. If employers were all payed what they were actually worth to a company as a person there wouldn't be a business left in operation. Typically you will be paid based primarily upon the value of the position. Positions that are more difficult to fill or more abundant for a certain level of skill will typically pay higher because there is a greater demand for the position.

It doesn't matter if you have 3 Masters degrees and every certification in the known to man if you are working in a drive-thru window expecting to make 6 figures. A particular position may also be far more valuable and in more demand in one part of a Country and not at all in demand somewhere else. Additionally, some areas are much more expensive to live in and typically pay more as a result in order to attract potential employees who realized if they made the same amount but had less expenses they would have more money available.

In any economy based on Free Enterprise you will be rewarded based upon how much you are able to help society. If customers (corporate or personal) need the product or service offered by a company they will purchase those products. In the same way if you fill a position that few people in a given area are able to do you are filling a greater need and therefore will usually be compensated more.

With this being the case I don't think any of us could give you any helpful numbers based upon your work experience, certifications, and degree without knowing the position you are applying for and where you live. If you are able to outperform others who have held that same position you will likely have more bargaining power for a better pay, but there will still be a ceiling largely based upon the position. I have never seen a Junior Network Analyst that was so good at what he did that a company was willing to pay him 7 figures, but many business owners I know are able to make well over that by impacting more people.

On a side note, if you need to speak Spanish for the position and don't speak the language that could be an issue. If English is the language you seem like you will be in good shape as long as you are qualified for the position and put forth the neccessary effort (and then some).
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did u see the new TV show on Monday called "Chuck.".... He is a drop out of Stanford and get pay by $11 per hr. And it is about right for A+ guy with 2 yrs experience. Just ask guy from the GS at the BestBuy.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would hope that someone with a 2 year degree and a certification would shoot for something a little beyond the geek squad. IF not, you are cheating yourself. How can you compare a fictional college dropout to someone with a degree and certification?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    I'm in the Northeast and I make $37k a year doing Level II desktop support for hardware and software related issues. And its still not enough for how much work load they put us under. As of now we only have about 4 real tech's supporting a corporation of almost 4000 users. We're stretched out too thin and they are cutting costs on us. So... time to find another home.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Netstudent wrote:
    How can you compare a fictional college dropout to someone with a degree and certification?

Because NBC represents one of the two truths in the universe. The other being Bob Saget's ability to maintain a career after Full House.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Netstudent wrote:
    How can you compare a fictional college dropout to someone with a degree and certification?

Because NBC represents one of the two truths in the universe. The other being Bob Saget's ability to maintain a career after Full House.

ha
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started at 14/hr with A+ and a 2 yr degree doing field engineering for a bank. I'd think you'd start around that.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I enjoyed how the admissions lady at my school said I'd start making no less than 50k/yr with a 2yr degree. Suuuuurrrrre.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    fonquefonque Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dont short change yourself. I make $39K a year doing level 1/2 helpdesk essentially, and I have no formal degrees and an A+ Cert. But I have been working at the same job for 6 years. It took awhile to get there. but If i can get there with literally no training, you should be able to do much better and get to where you want faster.

For me, job experience and a "bust my ass to get done what needs to get done" attitude is all ive used.
    I program my heart to beat breakbeats and hum basslines in exhalation.... matter, verse, spirit
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, It reminds me of a commercial on the radio here for "computerdegree.com" The guys states that he had no college or experience and that he went to this school for 6 months to get a MCP and will makes 58 K starting out. Sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    yea, a lot of these schools embellish like crazy
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Main Event wrote:
    What amount of money do you think a A+ certified tech with a 2 year degree should ask for? And is there a website that shows the salary requirements regarding credentials?

Thank you

Check geek squad. tops would be imho, $11.00.
  • Options
    KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Again I agree it depends on the market you are in, I was going to go for the general Helpdesk Bench tech position but then again there are to many people out there going for the same position. So I ended up joining a Telecommunication's apprenticeship where I get to play with my tools all day, while also getting a lot of the WAN side of thing's most people don't get to see. It's also double the pay of what I would have made if I were to just shoot for an associates degree and sit in a desk answering OS / Hardware question's all day.

Mind you I am still going to college, hold a couple certificate's, and have 7,000 hour's of hand's on training now. All the while going through the apprenticeship at the same time. It all comes to how hard do you want to work for it.

Just food for thought.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a 5 day assisgnment setting up computers for a convention in Miami Beach starting Wednesday, pays $15 per hour firm... not bad....

Gonna knock that out and see if I can get more work with them. Agency called Proactive Business Solutions...

Looking for full-time work still but I'll take what I can get to get more exp.
  • Options
    Kalabin wrote:
    Again I agree it depends on the market you are in, I was going to go for the general Helpdesk Bench tech position but then again there are to many people out there going for the same position. So I ended up joining a Telecommunication's apprenticeship where I get to play with my tools all day, while also getting a lot of the WAN side of thing's most people don't get to see. It's also double the pay of what I would have made if I were to just shoot for an associates degree and sit in a desk answering OS / Hardware question's all day.

Mind you I am still going to college, hold a couple certificate's, and have 7,000 hour's of hand's on training now. All the while going through the apprenticeship at the same time. It all comes to how hard do you want to work for it.

Just food for thought.

Yea, I'm going back to school as well but I'm really debating if I.T is a long term field of employment... with the way things are it's pretty tough and I know so smart guys who graduated from University of Florida with CS degrees who aren't even working and sitting down with mom. Granted, I did the same for many years and I kinda don't want to go down that path again. I love I.T, love computers but bills have to be paid so I'll do some serious thinking pretty soon.

Granted, I'm not interested in anything else but the good days of getting a MCSE and commanding 60 per year with no experience are over.

As for the crappy schools, I went to one of them myself and I still owe them about 20 grand but you live and learn, whoever is in charge of Marketing at those crappy schools are some freaking smart people, they know the area and know how to promise big dreams to individuals....

I can count at least 10 to 15 of those school within a 20 mile radius in my area of town.
  • Options
    KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Main Event wrote:
    Kalabin wrote:

Just food for thought.

Yea, I'm going back to school as well but I'm really debating if I.T is a long term field of employment... with the way things are it's pretty tough and I know so smart guys who graduated from University of Florida with CS degrees who aren't even working and sitting down with mom. Granted, I did the same for many years and I kinda don't want to go down that path again. I love I.T, love computers but bills have to be paid so I'll do some serious thinking pretty soon.

Granted, I'm not interested in anything else but the good days of getting a MCSE and commanding 60 per year with no experience are over.

As for the crappy schools, I went to one of them myself and I still owe them about 20 grand but you live and learn, whoever is in charge of Marketing at those crappy schools are some freaking smart people, they know the area and know how to promise big dreams to individuals....

I can count at least 10 to 15 of those school within a 20 mile radius in my area of town.

Yeah, my old man is a Windows Engineer in town here and my brother is a Network Admin for a smaller company. After watching them it just seem's like there is 10 other people who can do the same job with the same background as them. So, that's why im going for the nitch. I'm prolly going to test out as a Central Office / PBX Technician. But im using the Cisco to get me a jump start on the VoIP side of thing's. Baby boomer's have to retire and someone has to do the dirty work of installing all the equipment. Might as well be me! :)