Options

Upgrading HP Pavilion 6835

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I am working on refurbishing an HP Pavilion 6835 desktop PC. I wipped the hard drive and am having an issue loading the new OS.

Before wipping the HD, I upgraded the memory from the standard 128mb to the maximum allowed 512mb. After wipping the HD I procceded to load the OS. What I am about to mentioned happened with a version of Windows 2000 and XP.

I booted from the CD and the process started normally with all files being loaded. The next step where the system states it will load Windows, is where eveything got hung up. It wouldn't get passed that point, It just stayed in the position of prompting me that the system is loading Windows. I actually let the system run overnight and in the morning it was still in the same position. Any advice on what to do??? Thanks

Standard Memory 128 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory 512MB
Memory Expansion 2 sockets
Memory Comments PC100 SDRAM DIMMs
CPU Type 800MHz Intel Celeron
Model Comments 100MHz FSB, Intel 810 Chipset
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First thing I would do is put the original memory back in and see what happens.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    First thing I would do is put the original memory back in and see what happens.

yep, I agree. You have a good idea that this RAM is stable. Try that first.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
    It was the RAM. I put the original PC100 128Mb stick back in and I was able to complete the installation. The systems original specifications call for PC100 and I put in PC133. I thought the system's FSB would adjust to the lower speeds? Any reason why this would not be. Thanks
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."