Options

Associates then Bachelors

dgbarrdgbarr Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Obviously employers prefer bachelors over associates..

But I am just curious.. Anyone completed an associates to pay off their loan and later on completed the bachelors after? Are associates even worth considering? Or are employers looking for individuals that have the discipline to finish a degree?

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was going for my bachelors, then I found out I was going to have a child. So I went back and got the classes I needed to get an AS so I could get a job to support a kid. So I did that and picked up a certification and got a good job. Now I work during the day, go to school at night for my bachelors degree. If I did not get the AS degree, I would not have gotten the job, period.

But it's more than just having a AS degree. The degree just got me the interview, interviewing skills, technical skills, and personality got me the job. Coincidentally, I wasn't the only one in my school that was applying for this position.

So no an AS degree is definately not a waste of time. On the other hand, having a bachelors generally gets you in the 40K a year salary cap, whereas an AS should be in the 30's depending on location. Having a BS might help you move up a little faster or get that job with a steeper learning curve. Experience is the kicker though. That makes all the difference. Whether you have an AS or BS, experience is what you need.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I completed my AS after getting my current job. I didn't have a degree and I wanted it as more of a safety net. I just went back to school to work on a BSc.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I highly recommend you skip the A.A/A.S, they are wait of time and money. Just move to 4 yrs colleges. Most students end up five years or pay more loan when they went to A.S then B.S.

You will wait a lot of credits on pre-requisite on those 4yrs colleges. Why waste time to take extra classes that you don't need or not meet the standard of 4 yrs colleges. Do your reseach first and then a basic assetment.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    I also completed my Associates Degree and Certifications to get a job, and still currently taking classes to complete the B.S Degree.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kasor wrote:
    I highly recommend you skip the A.A/A.S, they are wait of time and money. Just move to 4 yrs colleges. Most students end up five years or pay more loan when they went to A.S then B.S.

You will wait a lot of credits on pre-requisite on those 4yrs colleges. Why waste time to take extra classes that you don't need or not meet the standard of 4 yrs colleges. Do your reseach first and then a basic assetment.

I don't know where you get your information from, but this is the opposite from what I have encountered from co workers and colleagues such as on this site.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem comes up with some of AS from technical schools. A lot of the technical classes do not transfer into liberal arts type Bachelors programs. I went to a community college and not a tech school, which gave me the option of taking CIT (technical) or CIS (a transfer program).

If anyone plans on getting an associates and then going back for a bachelors, check to see what class will and will not transfer, or you will end up taking extra classes.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    YA but think about it like this, if you have a 2 year degree, you can go ahead and get your foot in the door. Then while you have 2 more years to get your bachelors, you will be gaining valuable experience. Someone who is going after a bachelor degree usually has to wait 4 years before they can start their careers because they don't have the credential yet. Going back and getting my AS only added 4 months to my grad date for my bachelors. BUt I busted my tail for one semester to get the classes I needed. I took 16 hours plus a capstone project class. Now when I get my bachelors this summer, I'll have both degrees, certifications, and experience that took me 4.5 years.

I admit that this wasn't my intention, however it worked out for me rather nicely.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I'm doing my associates degree in I.T right now at a local community college, first because the credits are cheaper than those classes would be taking freshman year in 4 year university. Second because of the articulation agreement the community college has with good universities in the area that state that if i get my AS and have a gpa of 2.5 or above I am guaranteed admission into the 4 year university.

So basically i do 2 years at community college, get all the freshman/general studies classes out of the way, then next 2 years at university and get my bachelors, so it wouldnt take me any longer to graduate either.

Of course people could have different experiences, this is just mine.

win2k4
  • Options
    SamCarterSamCarter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started with an Associates degree and an A+ and I was able to get an entry level job at a company with tuition reimbursement. Once I was with the company long enough I took advantage of the program. I will graduate soon with no student debt since the Community College loans were not a big deal to pay back. I do have to stay with this company for a couple of years but I think it's worth it. If you can go this route (and can picture yourself working and attending classes at the same time), I'd highly recommend it.

Some universities have equivalency agreements where they agree to take your credits from specific programs at their partner colleges. Ask your college if they have any such agreements. Some of them will offer credit for A+ and MCSA/E as well.
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    Wanna share my thoughts with you guys.

I just went back to school FULL TIME for my bachelor degree and i m working FULL TIME. I shouldve done this long time ago. The reason is that many companies NOW require a bachelor degree than associate degree and I wanna secure my future. Although 2 years is quite a bit long, anyway, Within 2 years, I will be able to complete my bachelor degree. Then I become an IT guy who equips with a power sword: my EXPERIENCECS + Bachelor degree + Certifications. My sky will be more brighter than now. Think about the future, not now.

Few years ago after completing my associate degree, i got a job and i was able to pay off my student loan in a year but now.....credit cards.....shoot..... sigh icon_mad.gif what can I do.....icon_cry.gif

Now, I apply for the student load just in case, but I am not using it yet because I just paid the bill myself from my pocket. The tuition in the local college is not expensive, which is only 2K.

Think farther, Set the goal, Have ambitious, Make efforts and dedication, and be YOUR Best of BEST. icon_thumright.gif
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started out with an Associate in Computer Information Systems. At the time, I was new to computers and didn't want to rush into a 4 year school with all of its expenses without knowing for sure if computers were right for me.

After successfully completing my associates degree then I decided to pursue a four year school. It was the right move for me. Most of the credits were transferable and I finished my 4 year Computer Science degree in 2 years instead of 4+ years.

If I didn’t go with my original gut feeling, I would’ve ended up wasting time at Univ contemplating a major.

That was my path that I took. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went out and got my AAS because I had the time but not really the money to get the degree. I didn't persue a bachelors yet because I wanted to settle into a job with tuition reimbursement to reduce the student loans. (tech school is expensive).

I will go back as long as I don't magically change career in the near future.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    I also went to school and completed my A.A.S Degree before the B.A.T Degree.
    You should check if any colleges around your area offer BAT Degrees which pretty much all of your technical A.A.S classes get transfered over.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I recommend the Associates degree only if you are going to a community college before continuing on to a four-year college. The Associates program will give you a goal while you are building your GPA and getting a lot of your general education classes out of the way. You don't want to pay university prices for GE units. And don't put off starting your Bachelors until your Associates is paid for. There's no benefit to doing this; that's why student loans are "long-term."