Options

1st time posting. Need Resume Advice

iSkateiSkate Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
What's up everybody! Today is my first post I hope i'm in the right forum, hopefully i don't get booed off here for being too noobish.lol.

ok. My resume was super horrible; I didn't get annnnnyyy calls on it. After reading through the forum I was inspired to create an entirely new resume. What i'm about to reveal, is still in the draft stages, but i think it's now open to constructive criticism. Any suggestion appreciated,( i know the skills section looks a little too generic for 1). but Here it is:

Education:

Heald College Concord, CA 1/06-12/07

A.A.S. Degree In Information Technology with An emphasis In Network Security

Certifications:

CompTIA’s A+, Network+

Technical Expertise:

Operating Systems: Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, 2000, Vista, Linux Fedora 2, Mac Operating Systems

Hardware: Ethernet Cards, RAM, Mother Board, Video & Sound Cards, Optical Drives, Printers

Software: Microsoft Office, Open Office, Anti-Virus/Anti-Spy ware, Norton Symantec Ghost

Networking: TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Cable/DSL, Routers, Switches, Wireless A/B/G,

Professional Experience:

Best Buy , CA 6/07-Present
Computer Sales Associate
Explain technical terms and technologies to non tech-savvy customers
Answer technical questions relating to laptops, desktops, software, printers and monitors
Provide friendly and professional customer services by assessing customers needs and recommending the best solution

Best Buy Geek Squad , CA 8/06-6/07
Computer Technician
Performed virus removals, data back ups, and system upgrades
Added various hardware components to desktops and laptops
Properly logged computer repairs into ticketing database
Listened critically to customers problems to diagnose and troubleshoot computer

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not a bad draft. I think you should open it with a summary or objective. I like the summary more than an objective, but opinions differ. Over all it doesn't look bad but the technical skills section does need a little work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    I have had the same problem, until a friend of mine reformatted my resume.

The best thing to do is to TELL what you have done, don't be general or say things like "oh i did this at this place blah blah blah"

For example "Migrated enterprise level network hardware by replacing all catos 5505 cisco switches with catalyst 3750 switches"

Lets break this down.

I am TELLING you what i did - 'Migrated enterprise level network hardware"

Another good tip especially in IT is to use numbers or model/make of products/hardware, that way it makes you stand out as it tells them "hey , i did this with THIS hardware, I ROCK"

"catos 5505 cisco switches; catalyst 3750 switches"

If you just said "migrated some network hardware, replaced old switches with new cisco switches" thats kinda lame and to a potential employer, that'll make you look like an ordinary shmoe trying to get a job in IT

Keep in mind my examples were for network engineering type jobs, but you should be able to apply the tidbits to your own scenario.. if you need some more help feel free to ask

-- Plazma
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    iSkateiSkate Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the quick responses!

i have an objective statement. It doesn't really tie in with the resume, though. the statement is.. To give outstanding job performance, excellent quality, and complete dedication utilizing my skills as a Desktop Support Technician. to me, i dunno, it's kind of cheesy.

so, so far I should include specifics, such as hardware i've worked with (i've worked with cisco routers, too) (just didn't list them)

and i should also hit up the technical expertise section. what would you suggest for improving it? when i look at it, it seems boring but i don't know how to fix it up...hmm

ALSO: i don't know if Geek Squad is hurting my resume or not. The majority of interviews i've had the employer has said: "oh geek squad i took my computer there". i really don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. a lot of times, at least at my store, the geek squad f'd up something or wasn't on time=(
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well I don't think the geek squad will hurt you. Don't take it off since it is your only IT job experience listed. I'd say to start it off with a summary not an objective. I think the objective statement is kinda lame also. Try something like "Experienced computer support technicain with excellent hardware troubleshooting skills blah blah blah" In this part you can also throw in what OS and equipment you are profficient with.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Yea , im not a huge fan of objective statements either for 2 reasons:

1. their boring, dry and lame
    2. most employers expect them, don't include it but include something BETTER like a mini summary, its bound to get their attention

Most busy employers will only glance at a resume for 2-5 seconds, and if they see something like , they will keep reading, otherwise, it will goto /dev/null(unix slang for nowhere)

Geek squad can only help you, also with that, really push the fact you worked with computers, what OS's, what vendor/brands of computers, youve built your own.. etc

One other thing about the geek squad is to emphasis the skills you take advantage of everyday, but don't realize

1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills - you have to talk to customers and probably write notes right?
    2. Excellent customer service - shows you aren't the stereotypical geek who does nothing but hack away and live in a coffin.
    3. works well under pressure - i worked in retail 3-4 years, busy or not, retail blows and it gets stressfull especially when it gets busy

One thing to do is lay out your work expierence as follows:

Job Title
    Place I Worked/Date
    Short paragraph/summary of what YOU did there, and how much you rocked while you were there
    bulleted list of accomplishments

example:

Service Technician
    SomeComputerCo July 2 2002 - Present
    Was a full time employee for <company> performing computer repairs and upgrades on 32 bit and 64 bit computing systems. Also installed various desktop OS's such as Win XP, Win Vista, Linux, etc. Was also responsible for excellent customer service making sure the customer got what they really needed.
    - repaired Dell computers with intel/amd 32/64-bit CPU's
    - upgraded HP/Dell machines with RAM
    - Educated users so they knew what they were getting

Of course, this is a rough example, but if you modify it to your needs, im sure youll get a lot more hits
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your resume is too simple and did not show your technical expertise and skills. Definitely need to reformat. In addition, also lacking detail and description about the jobs. Please make sure when your re-phase your sentence, but not over emphasize the work.

English is an odd language that a fancy writing on cover letter and resume will get you to an interview.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn