Options

Future in IT?

ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Recently I was in the middle of road and I had to rethink my approch to IT itself. I'm still confused so I hope that your valuable comments can share some light. Just to give you some background, I used to work as a level 1/2 IT technician for a real estate office here in New York. Because of conficts with supervisiors and terrible atmosphere I decided to quit it and pursue a new goal. I found a job as an Technical Administrator/Office Manager for another Real Estate business and have been with them for almost a year now. I love my job and the mixture of both IT ( 25 computers with a server) and managing the office. My boss is just great and caring person, extremely wise with more than 30 years experience with top business. She says that I have a great potential but not in IT. I'm still in school pursuing my BS, so she persuades me to leave IT go for Economics. Her point is that she tries to protect me from getting a job worth only 45-60K , and prepare me for bigger and better bucks in business.

I can't seem to cut out of IT completely, but I see her point and decided to go for degree in Economics getting IT certifications of the way, just in case later I will want to go back in IT. Is it a good choice? will that mixture benefit me, or it's a complete waste of time/money as I won't be devoted deeply into one field?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You'll need to decide for yourself what is in YOUR best interest.

While you manager may be giving proper perspective, she may not want to loose you and your skillset. On the other hand, she may be 100% correct and giving you the absolute truth. IT may be your love, but maybe you're better at something else?

Depending on how old you are, you've likely got some time to dabble in a different career or two or three of five...to see how you fit. Sometimes it's about the feel at the end of the day/week and not what you make per year. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with Plantwitz. You should probably go after what you enjoy. 45-60K isn't bad if you are doing what you enjoy. It's better than hating what you do for 80-100K in my opinion. If you like both then go after which ever one you have the best chances of being succesful in. Life isn't all about money, but it is a big part.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you wanna make big money working in Finance is definitely a way to go. You can always combine that with your IT skills of course, you would be amazed at how much IT knowledge many traders have (and how much financial knowledge IT people working in the finance industry require)

I plan to make the IT -> Finance transition myself, but of course its all personal preference.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree. It is your career and your life.

If you are happy on what you doing, then a day go by quiet and full with fun. However, you can alway look for option.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Thanks for your input guys

Well, I completely agree with you that sometimes it's better to earn less and live happily ever after. I was always considered a geek and technology lover since back in High School. I don't think I'm going break up with IT. I just wonder if IT certificates will be enough to keep me in the field, as I won't have that much exposure to pure IT anymore. I still have time ( I'm only 22 ) but I feel that in the next 3-4 years I have to make up my mind about the direction I should follow.

How do you think, if I stay in office/business enviroment with little access and duties in IT, will I be competetive enough with IT certifications as I won't have that much hands-on experience?
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • Options
    Arvean wrote:
    How do you think, if I stay in office/business enviroment with little access and duties in IT, will I be competetive enough with IT certifications as I won't have that much hands-on experience?

Sometimes what we think is the ideal job never truly exists....and in the meantime we're sitting on the best thing that may come along. If you enjoy IT 'stuff' then continue to study/read materials, set up a lab at home or possibly in the office. Research, trial new software, make recommendations for hardware solutions/security/etc... based on your research and just take ownership in the organization.

You can work in a job that you do 'x' tasks that you enjoy, but sometimes it's nicer to work somewhere that permits you to be more well-rounded and involved in the decisions.

It really does come down to what you are hoping to achieve and what you enjoy about the current job. Never know, they may expand one day....or you may just find something else working for someone else. For now, enjoy that you have a decent job working with people you can get along with.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Arvean wrote:

Sometimes what we think is the ideal job never truly exists....and in the meantime we're sitting on the best thing that may come along. If you enjoy IT 'stuff' then continue to study/read materials, set up a lab at home or possibly in the office. Research, trial new software, make recommendations for hardware solutions/security/etc... based on your research and just take ownership in the organization.

You can work in a job that you do 'x' tasks that you enjoy, but sometimes it's nicer to work somewhere that permits you to be more well-rounded and involved in the decisions.

It really does come down to what you are hoping to achieve and what you enjoy about the current job. Never know, they may expand one day....or you may just find something else working for someone else. For now, enjoy that you have a decent job working with people you can get along with.

Plantwiz,

Thanks a lot for sharing. Your points are clear and surely helpful. As mentioned before I'm going to stay in my current position until I get my BS, probably about 2,5 years more - meanwhile doing certificates and learning new stuff. Then I will make my decision which way to proceed.
    I really appreciate your feedback. I don't have to be an IT person to still do IT within my firm.
  • Options
    Arvean,

You are welcome! And good luck :)

Took me a long time I could use my skills and do what I enjoyed...but maybe not in the exact what I thought it had to fall in place. One day I realized I was doing exactly what I loved...and using my best skills.

It will work out perfectly :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Arvean wrote:
    She says that I have a great potential but not in IT. I'm still in school pursuing my BS, so she persuades me to leave IT go for Economics. Her point is that she tries to protect me from getting a job worth only 45-60K , and prepare me for bigger and better bucks in business.

I can't seem to cut out of IT completely, but I see her point and decided to go for degree in Economics getting IT certifications of the way, just in case later I will want to go back in IT. Is it a good choice? will that mixture benefit me, or it's a complete waste of time/money as I won't be devoted deeply into one field?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm a little late but I agree with your boss 100% and her idea is actually something I share with anyone who is thinking about college and joining the IT force. In my opinion, hands down the Econ degree is the best route.

Put money aside for a minute. You can get certifications, experience and a job in IT without having a BS in IT. I have a degree in IT, looking back I should have studied business (or econ) and taken certifications while in college. If you decide to go into IT the BS degree in Econ is only going to boost your chances for a manager position. 10 years down the road if IT isn't for you, fall back on the BS degree with a different career.

Now money. You can make 45-60k in IT, you can also make 45-60k in business. You can also make 150k in IT and 150k in business. Money is given to those who earn it and fulfill set goals.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can combine the two. Get your BS in Economics with a minor in a computer related field or even an Associates.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete