Options

Considering relocating back to the UK from the US...

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
I've been living in the US for just over a year now and have not had much success as far as IT JOBS go. It seems like you need to have a degree for every one of them. I never even see any entry-level jobs around. Maybe it's the area I live in, but I'm in the same area as the BIG 3 in the Motor City.
I have been looking at jobs in the UK and they seem plentiful in the city of London alone they have 300+ IT jobs just in the city... Plus you don't even need a degree or 5+ years experience just to get an interview!!!

Just one example below from [url]www.theitjobboard.com:[/url]

Large scale organization is urgently seeking a 2nd Line Support engineer to join their growing team that supports 5000+ users. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 12 months 2nd line support in a large organization. This is an immediate appointment so interviews are being arranged quickly. Certifications would be advantageous.

Location City of London
Salary £25000 + BENS if u want the amount in Dollars go to www.xe.com

Type Permanent

I never see jobs like this posted since I have been in the US… Plus you have to find a job with GOOD healthcare which makes it even harder, plus the risk of getting laid of because of down sizing. Anyway is there anyone on this forum that could give me a real idea of what the job market is like back in the UK (London Area), as I don’t wanna just rely on one job site.

D-boy

Ps: i wouldn't recommend anyone to move to the USA without having a degree in something!

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It's crazy!

I've been trying to get an IT job for about 18 months. In that time I had a job in an equipment rental store for six months. I was hired for that job because I had quite a bit of front-end computer experience along with experience in construction equipment. I was laid off when cash-flow problems developed(I wasn't surprised). Then six months later I actually landed a "real" IT job for a contractor on a large computer deployment contract at government facility. That lasted for two months. I was able to get a better pay rate because I had A+ and Network+ certs. A lot of the techs on that project were driving several miles a day to get to work and back home. Some came in from as far away as Iowa(I'm in Indiana and live about sixteen miles from the place).

Now, I am trying to get an entry-level job at a local facility which has a very large LAN and several techs in the IT department. This is a part-time job. It will serve me well for gaining experience--if I get it. Thing is, I've never in my working career had so many interviews for such an insignificant position. In six weeks time I've had two interviews and I have another tomorrow with the IT department staff--don't know what the deal is with that, but I'll be there.

From the posts on this forum and others it's evident that the situation is much the same nation wide.

Guess the thing is, it's a different world than it was three or four years ago, and native or immigrant we all share the same experience. So, you stick around awhile and eventually land something and get some experience or return to UK--depends on what you can afford.

Best of luck on your decision.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    mikiemovmikiemov Member Posts: 182
    Im in Aberdeen, and things are OK, rates are high but still reasonable.

For IT jobs in the UK, look at www.jobserve.com select IT and search on your selected criteria
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didnt have the decency to thank her.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I have used www.jobserve.com before when I lived in the UK, they used to be the best but I think www.theitjobboard.com has more jobs...
  • Options
    learningITlearningIT Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's really crazy pretty much all over the country(s). IT jobs are way down. icon_cry.gif Jobs are being sent over seas and IT seekers are itching to find jobs. The whole economy is in the ****. If you can hold out maybe 5 more years we might see a climb in IT demand...

The best advice is to keep looking and keep getting these certifications.
    I want to learn to succeed.