Options

Redistribution question BSCI

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I’m learning this at the moment and wanted to clear a few things up, here is two quotes out of the cisco press bsci book pg 330

1) Routeing protocols can only redistribute routes they know. Thus, if RIP is being redistributed into eigrp, the route table must have an entry for the rip network.
2) When a route is redistributed, it inherits the default admin distance of the new routing protocol.

Taking these two statement what is considered the new routing protocol in statement 2?
In statement 1 what routing protocol is doing the redistributing, is it eigrp?
Also with the seed metric is it the protocol receiving the redistribution that effects the seed metric?
Confusion everywhere! Thanks to any replies
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    aueddonline,
    I’m learning this at the moment and wanted to clear a few things up, here is two quotes out of the cisco press bsci book pg 330

1) Routeing protocols can only redistribute routes they know. Thus, if RIP is being redistributed into eigrp, the route table must have an entry for the rip network.
    2) When a route is redistributed, it inherits the default admin distance of the new routing protocol.

Taking these two statement what is considered the new routing protocol in statement 2?

I think the "new routing protocol" refers to the receiving routing protocol.
    In statement 1 what routing protocol is doing the redistributing, is it eigrp?

I think the redistributing routing protocol is the sending routing protocol.
    Also with the seed metric is it the protocol receiving the redistribution that effects the seed metric?
    Confusion everywhere! Thanks to any replies

I think the seed metric is configured from within the sending routing protocol using the redistribute command with a seed metric that is understood by the receiving routing protocol.
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    in statement 1, eigrp would be doing the redistribution of rip.
    My best quick example for this is a router with 3 interfaces...
    fa 0/0 = ip address 192.168.1.1/24 which points towards the local LAN1 running rip
    fa 0/1 = ip address 172.16.1.1/24 which point towards the local LAN2 running rip
    serial 0/0 = ip address 10.1.1.1 which points to a main campus backbone.

If you are redistributing RIP into EIGRP, the router on the other end of the serial interface will learn about routes to 192.168.1.0/24 and 172.16.1.0/24 (assuming rip version 2) through EIGRP.