Options

IT / Business Hybrids

LiatiLiati Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

A recent post by Arvean made me think of my own career goals, and I'm wondering...

We all know the IT field is highly competitive, so I am wondering if anyone out there has had success doing IT to lead into another career - or alternately used another career to leverage themselves into the IT field? Maybe there is some sort of business application IT people are "naturals" at, like Accounting or Finance?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I've seen successful transitions from IT/Engineering to both marketing and non-IT project management. In most case, the people changing departments had no formal education in their new fields, and only possessed experience gained from within the company. These moves happened only after accumulating years of experience and internal networking contacts, of course.
  • Options
    ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that this kind of hybrid can be very beneficial. It's like riding two horses, one gets tired you jump on the other one and keep going West......

But seriously I think it's great because IT market is extremely competentive right now. The only con of a hybrid solution is that you're not going to be an expert in both as you will have to share your time/memory/skills between two different fields, still it's absolutely worth it.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • Options
    jad75jad75 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was a sysadmin at a private college and an IT director (tech janitor really) at an elementary school. In both cases I had opportunity's to move out of IT and into teaching.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Every place I have worked I have had opportunities to be part of the actual business of the company. The most recent was commercial real estate.