Options

How difficult is the 601 and 602?

OutKasted1OutKasted1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
First time poster. I am attending new horizons with the GI Bill footing most of the bill and I am looking to get back into IT. I got out the Marines in 99 where I was delaing with hardware, networks, cisco, etc. But circumstances happened where I wasnt certified and couldnt get into IT in the civilian life. Now I am looking to get back into it and starting with certs. I am going A+, Net+, Security+, MCSE, and CCNA.

Anyhow this class is basically a 5 day bootcamp style for each test and they push so much stuff they claim to be important. I have taken exams in "Measure Up" and www.certblaster.com which the school uses, and I get consistant 80%-95%. What is the percentage on this exam to pass coring system is strange to say the least? Also are the actual tests harder than the practice tests? My weak points right now are memorizing the sockets for the different cpus, and other "memorization" aspects. I know most of the tech side of things, and stuff is pretty straight forward these days where the OS does all the configuring. Most of this stuff is a review, and I find myself looking back at how I used to have to set memory addresses in config.sys, and thinking this is a cakewalk.

Well any info is apreciated so I know what to expect. I am sure you will hear more from me regarding the MS courses when I get into them.

Thanks for reading my book.

{DON"T USE CHEATING MATERIALS. IT VIOLATES THE NDA YOU SIGNED AND IS DISHONEST]

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First,
    Welcome to the site.
    Second,
    You will not find supporters of those who use **** materials to 'prepare' for exams. **** materials do not prepare you and they are a violation of the NDA as well as make those who've studied the old-fashioned way pretty ticked off you have the same cert as they.

Third,
    Call it a moment of weakness that I didn't simply remove your post, but I almost think you care about learning which is why you showed (and I like Marines :) ).

1. New Horizons would be a boot-camp type prep. It may be successful for you if you simply need to immerse youself into review...which this will do for someone who is just a little rusty.
    2. The Objectives from CompTIA and possibly Meyers or Sybex books are usually what most rely on, though others feel it necessary for more, generally A+ isn't that difficult. Yes there is a lot of material, but if you work with it...it makes sense and should not be a problem.
    3. As far as not getting into IT without certs??? That's not entirely true, it will depend on your skill, the type of work you are able to do, and your location. Certs may help, but certainly back in 1999...HR people were not as picky about certs as they may be in some markets today. Start small and aim big. If this is the work you want to do....drop the ****-sites from your vocabulary and learn the material. Employers will learn pretty quickly if the certs on your resume are wall candy or valid.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    OutKasted1OutKasted1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I guess I started out nice on this site. I wasnt aware those sites were considered "**** sites" the way the school uses it is to see your progress that you learned from the class. The books we learn and study from are endorsed by CompTIA and the school is pretty much a certified partner with many major computer companies and institutions.

The tests do explain why answers are right/wrong etc. I do understand how it can anger someone if they are working next to someone who is just certified with no experience, but I am not one of those types. I was the go to person in my platoon for all the technical issues, and was responsible for designing networks in a tactical environment as well trouble shooting these networks inside and out which was usually configured by Cisco 7000 routers that I had to program.

At the time I got out I was stuck in a situation where I was forced to get a job quick, and temp jobs were few and far between. I live in a major city that is oversaturated with people so getting into any job is a feat in itself.

As I said before this is mainly reviews for me. I was tempted to take the test without class or studying and by what I have learned so far I would probably have passed.