Options

new laptop, vista looses

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Okay so i got my new laptop today - i bought a toshiba with a 160gb sata drive in it. it came with vista home pr emium. I erased vista and the XP install is telling me that it doesn't recognize the drive. I tried fedora and it doesn't have a driver for it either. When using hirens boot disk, i can access the drive to format/partition - so im not sure whats up icon_sad.gif

I'm currently burning vista business edition - which should be better than home.
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm, how did you erase vista? It sounds like something got messed up. If you have acces to another pc, I'd run Darik's boot and nuke to completely wipe the drive (it's free, just google it, you can run it from either a cd or a bootable usb drive). Then, reformat the drive, and reinstall whatever OS you prefer. Hope this helps. (warning dban takes anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days depending upon the options you choose, so I would suggest using the quicker autonuke funtion)
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    RobinMRobinM Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look for a "compatibility" mode in the BIOS for the SATA hard drive. Try turning that on.

Vista and XP install procedures have an option to format a had disk so a third party utility is not necessary. Sounds like the original poster did this, on purpose.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Another option would be to find the SATA driver for your laptop, probably on the manufacturer's site, and use a floppy to install it when the Windows XP installer asks you to hit F6 to install third-party SCSI or RAID drivers. If the machine has no floppy drive, your only option will be to slipstream the driver into an XP install disc. Either way, you'll need the SATA driver to install Windows XP.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Yes, it's likely that years-old XP install disc does not have the drivers for the newer SATA controllers. You'll need to download the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's Web site and make them available when the XP installer asks for for additional drivers.
  • Options
    hmm, i wasn't able to find the driver for the hard drive on toshibas webpage (its a toshiba laptop and hard drive).. I've got Vista Business on there now, runs alright.

also, i've seen nothing in bios that i can configure for the hard drive.

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Some of the new laptops that are released with Vista, do not come with drivers for previous Opeating systems, so even if you can find the data driver, yo may find that half the stuff you can't use under XP (speaking from experience with my Acer icon_sad.gif )

-ken
  • Options
    heh, if thats the case i guess i'll just learn to live with vista and just put another gig of ram in.