Options

IT jobs and what to do...

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Of late I've been thinking a lot about jobs. I'll graduate in the spring with an Associates degree and plan to go on for my bachelors. I've been looking at a lot of job sites and there are a lot of high paying jobs, but all require experience. I just tend to get discouraged from time to time and wonder if I'll be able to work this all out. I plan on trying to get an internship or permanant job after this spring. For the experience and in hopes I can become a permanant employee, while pursuing my bachelors. I suppose that I just need some encouragement or positive thoughts on my situation. Do you all think that while pursuing a bachelors, that I'll eventually be able to find an entry level position and get some experience? My thoughts are that once I break into the field, then I have a much better chance at going foward and not backwards. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Not too long ago I was in the same boat as you are in. I did graduate with my associates and attempted to enter the job field. I did struggle for a good year before finding an entry level job. My main works of encouragement are never give up! No matter how many missed job interviews or rejections letters you recieve, you have to hang in there. Eventually some company is going to have a "shift" in the IT department and they will need new canidates.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I don't plan on giving up. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I truly love every aspect of this field. The troubleshooting, the satisfaction when a problem is solved, and the thinking required when a problem arises. I couldn't imagine myself really liking any other field and that is a big part of what keeps my hopes up.
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    I feel the same way. There is nothing more aggrevating than having a problem that you can't answer. But when you finally figure it out, there is nothing more rewarding! Example...if anyone has ever had in inclination to try out a program called Cimplicity ....stay away! haha. That took me all day to figure out. Yuck!
    Anywa, best of luck to ya!
  • Options
    JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    hmm ... isn't that like GE Fanuc's software solutions program? I worked there for a year and the name sounds familiar ...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went to college(s) for a couple of years before joining the air force. I like to think of those 4 years as an internship. The pay wasn't good but, I got a chance to travel around the world and work with a lot of great people. Plus, there's not a lot of places that would give young (17+) kids access to millions of dollars worth of equipment and training. If I had it to do over, I would have stayed in school and joined the reserves. Anyway, tuition assistance is @ 100% plus there's the GI Bill (which pays for all my test), bonuses, and college loan repayment.

I'm not a recruiter just throwing that out there if any one cares

I have my 1st job interview tomorrow after being out of the service for 3 months. Hopefully, I'll find myself among gainfully employed.