Options

Charging for time.

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I was curious if anyone knew of an application much like what Kinko's or coffee shops use to charge customers to use their PC's. It calculates the customers time and also the rate.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Specifically for browsing the internet? There are lots of web portal softwares out there, all vary in price, features and support. My advice is to purchase software with good support, customizeable (as in open source creation php+html etc) NOTE: many of these software vendors still offer support even if you screw around with their code, you just pay more for support because some php junkie has to check your code every day.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    No, I am looking for a universal time keeping program...

Lets say I charge $20hr but I want to keep track of time so I can pro-rate...

IE: 20hr is what I charge you, but lets say I spend 5 minutes on the project. Then I want the application to automatically charge you for the time spent.

Much like what Kinko's uses for PC time.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    just charge a 1 hour minimum... that's what I'd do :0
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    TechJunky wrote:
    No, I am looking for a universal time keeping program...

Lets say I charge $20hr but I want to keep track of time so I can pro-rate...

IE: 20hr is what I charge you, but lets say I spend 5 minutes on the project. Then I want the application to automatically charge you for the time spent.

Much like what Kinko's uses for PC time.

Are you 'leasing' the PC's for others to use and looking for a way to track 'rent' or is this work you are doing offering the service and are trying to track your billable time rather then straight time?

If it's for time on a PC (such as a rental), then why not something like pre-paying for blocks of time by the quarter hour or tenth of an hour. No refunds on minutes not used.

Just taking a stab at what's going on....no software suggestions unless there is maybe a way to log time on from a script??
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Just use excel and have it round to the nearest hour and shoot out an invoice from a word template. If you get any bigger purchase billing software. Quickbooks or Timeslips
  • Options
    2BEDB4112BEDB411 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Timeslips is out there. Check it out. It may work for your particular application.